Thread: A question about connecting via terminal...

Default A question about connecting via terminal...

I've been using the terminal to connect via wireless. It's just more fun. I use the iwl4965 module and usually connect by running

iwconfig wlan0 essid xxxx
    iwconfig wlan0 ap xxxx
    dhclient wlan0

that's assuming there's no key. Sometimes it works, other times it ends up finding no leases. Also, sometimes I have to edit the /etc/resolv.conf to update the internal ip of the gateway, which gives me dns. Also, I noticed that sometimes i need to create a route using

ip r a default via [ip of gateway]

However, when I noticed that when I use the Wireless Assistant gui, I can connect with no problem at all. Why is that?

I can connect very easily using

iwconfig ath0 essid *****
    ifconfig ath0 up
    dhcpcd -n -d ath0

Try that

tried dhcpcd -n -d ath0 and it seemed to execute rather quickly. No notification of connection or a binding to an ip. I checked to see if I could ping a site outside of my network and I couldn't.

However, I found a solution. Before it had said that a dhcp server was already running. So I ran

ps -A | grep dhcpd.conf

and I killed the processes, then ran dhclient ath0
    and it worked after that.

For DNS servers I would recommend using OpenDNS, it is a great service that works really well, plus you'll always know a DNS server you can connect to, you don't need to really on the APs DNS. The two OpenDNS servers:
    ThinkPad T400