Thread: Hydra FTP not working

Default Hydra FTP not working

I am working on one of the de-ice live cds to try and practice some actual use of the tools I've been learning about on backtrack in a semi-realistic environment. So I've been trying to use hydra to crack an ftp password. I was getting nowhere so I figured I would setup a more controlled environment to see if I was doing things correctly.

So now I have two virtual machines. One running windows server 2003 R2 patched. And one virtual machine running backtrack 3. The system with server 2003 is running ftp and I can successfully log into it manually and transfer files as expected from the backtrack machine. But when I run the following command I can see all the possible combinations supposedly being checked, including the correct login info, but it never gives me any successful result. In other words it tried the right user name and the right password and says that are wrong. Is there anything that I am doing wrong? Does anyone know what would cause this or a better way to go about what I'm trying to do? Thanks as always!

Code:
    hydra -L /root/users -P /root/password -e ns -o /root/results -f -t 10 -vV 192.168.1.101 ftp

Good friend of the forums williamc's Avatar

I prefer to use Medusa:
    http://www.foofus.net/~jmk/medusa/medusa.html

William

Quote Originally Posted by williamc View Post
    I prefer to use Medusa:

William
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have also had more luck with medusa and routers than with hydra. Unfortunatly it didn't seem to do any better in this situation. I tried the following command and got the same results. It tried the right username/password combo but it was not flagged as correct. Any more help would be very much appreciated.

Code:
    medusa -h 192.168.1.101 -U /root/users -P /root/password -O /root/medusaresult -M ftp -e ns -f