Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backtrack Won't Boot Completely

Just burned his ISO

Default Backtrack Won't Boot Completely

Hi guys, I'm new to backtrack as you could all probably figure out... anyways the title says it. Backtrack won't finish booting. So this is what happens... I put in the CD which I burned on my brothers laptop and I tried all of the boot options, they all seem to boot normally and then it just stops and the last thing it says is:

Starting System Tools Backends: System-Tools-Backends.

Backtrack 4 (PwnSauce) Penetration Testing and Auditing distribution.

Root@bt:~#

I'm not sure exactly what its supposed to say when it boots but it seems good, like it says setting system clock and all of that stuff. If it helps I am running a Compaq Presario CQ50-115NR.

Specs are 3gig RAM, AMD Turion X2 RM-70 ~2.0GHz, Nvidia GeForce 8200M G. If you need more specs you can either ask me or look up my computer online. I Appreciate you help and thanks.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: Backtrack Won't Boot Completely

Visions of 8-year-olds-dancing-in-my-head.
    That is what it is supposed to look like my friend. That little root@bt deal there is called a prompt. Now if you want a shiny clean smelling desktop to surf the web with type "startx" without the quotes at the aforementioned prompt.
    Then surf over to this thread to get started on the real cool stuff. http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ad-thread.html
    Have a nice day.

Wait I almost forgot. Type this first at the prompt
    /etc/init.d/networking start
    Then type startx
    Because I am quite sure you won't be able to surf the net without it. Then you'll make another post on that.
    If you do still have trouble with either of the two after reading the link and everything in it, then by all means return and make a post here in this thread so we can help you.
    Be aware that we will require your help and lots of details in order to help you.
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 02-11-2010 at 12:19 AM.

type startx

Also you might want to look here: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ad-thread.html

edit: lol Archangel.Amael beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel.Amael View Post
    Visions of 8-year-olds-dancing-in-my-head.
    That is what it is supposed to look like my friend. That little root@bt deal there is called a prompt. Now if you want a shiny clean smelling desktop to surf the web with type "startx" without the quotes at the aforementioned prompt.
    Then surf over to this thread to get started on the real cool stuff. http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ad-thread.html
    Have a nice day.

Wait I almost forgot. Type this first at the prompt
    /etc/init.d/networking start
    Then type startx
    Because I am quite sure you won't be able to surf the net without it. Then you'll make another post on that.
    If you do still have trouble with either of the two after reading the link and everything in it, then by all means return and make a post here in this thread so we can help you.
    Be aware that we will require your help and lots of details in order to help you.
    Damn, that's too long for a signature....

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    It would be cool if we could shorten it to be a signature though... Hmm...

"No we don't use a GUI, to start one type 'startx', and then you might want to try /etc/init.d/networking start to go onto the internet"... Still not as catchy as archangel's saying...
    Common Knowledge: Username, "root". Password, "toor". "startx" gives you a GUI, and "fix-vesa" will fix BT if you have no GUI. Start networking with "/etc/init.d/networking start" and check your IP settings with "ifconfig -a". "dhclient" will automatically use DHCP for your IP. Google is your friend.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Yeah, I actually had to come back to this one. But with the magic of the internet some things get preserved for eternity. But the whole "Visions of 8-year-olds-dancing-in-my-head." just didn't sound right.
    It sounds perverted. So my apologies to all 8 year old's out there. The thought process was about kids who have no clue and little ability to actually search and resolve an answer.
    Ohh well.

As for a signature maybe I could figure out a way to put the entire dang forum's stickies, rules, and readme's as a signature in, my, signature.

Yeah, I actually had to come back to this one. But with the magic of the internet some things get preserved for eternity. But the whole "Visions of 8-year-olds-dancing-in-my-head." just didn't sound right.
    It sounds perverted. So my apologies to all 8 year old's out there. The thought process was about kids who have no clue and little ability to actually search and resolve an answer.
    Ohh well.

As for a signature maybe I could figure out a way to put the entire dang forum's stickies, rules, and readme's as a signature in, my, signature.
    Big flashy banner....

I got a good one, put a Blink HTML command in your signature so people pay attention

Lets see if it works...

<blink>Pay attention to the StartX commands, and the Network commands</blink>

Nope... Didn't work in preview mode, but I'm using WYSIWYG editor, so it might not be taking it as a html code, either way the blink would catch some attention, if not be a tiny bit annoying after a while.

Anyway, Its a good idea to have a small list of commands that are commonly asked about in a signature. I'll most likely do it sometime soon (after my new account gets finalized and I don't need the mods to accept my posts ).
    Common Knowledge: Username, "root". Password, "toor". "startx" gives you a GUI, and "fix-vesa" will fix BT if you have no GUI. Start networking with "/etc/init.d/networking start" and check your IP settings with "ifconfig -a". "dhclient" will automatically use DHCP for your IP. Google is your friend.

But the whole "Visions of 8-year-olds-dancing-in-my-head." just didn't sound right.
    Ohh well.
    I read that earlier post and was going to ask about it, but I'm glad you came back to clarify
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

Just burned his ISO

thanks for the quick response guys. The startx command worked great but I am not so sure about the /etc/init.d/networking start command. I noticed that my wireless card (Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter) off even after BT4 boots completely even if I manually try to turn it on. Also about 5 minutes after BT4 completely boots (startx) no matter what I doing my laptop turns off with no warning. I read the How to on networking but i didnt really understand much of it sadly so i would appreciate help. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast