Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: How to install KDE 4.1 on backtrack :D

the reason why i download each file to save time too.....so if i need to reformat backtrack i do not need to download each file............just copy the downloaded file and go to flux then just do the follow command.......you do not need to used the script again an redownload all the file aand wait for a long time to finish...........

I've gone back and fixed things up in my script. I just tried it on a fresh usb install of BT3 and everything worked fine.

You can download it here.
    (500mb download...it contains all the necessary packages.)

To use: unzip and run the install.sh file inside the directory you just extracted. Let it do it's thing and it should work.

For some reason after rebooting when the script is done installing KDE 4.1, I have gotten an error when starting kde for the first time. (Something like "KStartupConfig.... Check your installation") If this happens, go into the directory where the install script was and then go to kde4/other/gcc_g++ and do "installpkg gcc-g++-4.2.3-i486-1.tgz'
    This will install the gcc-g++ package again which has worked for me. Then just startx again and KDE should start.
    EDIT: I just tested this script on an hdd install and I did not have this problem but when using a usb stick, I did.

I have removed two packages that I didn't want on my system. They are still in the tar but they are not installed by the script. You can install them manually after running the script or throw them inside a directory that the the script installs. They are located in the exclude directory.

I have also gotten Compiz fusion working along with Ophcrack (as a side note, since KDE 4 uses Qt 4, ophcrack is much easier to install, just untar, configure, make, and make install)

A quick guide to running compiz, I was not able to use the .lzm module drivers so I had to compile my own. You can get the installation file on Nvidia's website. Then I followed this guide and got Compiz running very easily.
    The only major problem with that is that I was not able to compile the Nvidia drivers on a fat32 drive, which is what my flash drive was. I had to use an ext3 drive and then everything worked perfectly.

If anything is unclear, ask and I will try to help. I know I did not include any documentation with this script and this is the only documentation. If there are problems, I might make a readme and put it in the archive.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks a lot man. Appreciate you putting the time in to do this. I ran the first script in haste this morning, after changing the mirrors from slackware.com to something a little faster
    Had to use links browser to find a site with the gcc-g++-4.2.4-i486-1.tgz file to get flux up and running again... and now have just used this file to repair my KDE.

Thanks.

I've written this guide up to the wiki - it's now on the BackTrack 3 HowTo Index.

You can see it here.

what a good effort...i already been think for that kindly lazy to do it.........^^

Exclamation How could I Start KDE 4.1??

Quote Originally Posted by frezasaga View Post
    the answer for this question is the #43 # 45 by ESC201
    After I solved all the problem relateg with gcc++ libraries I tought that everything it was done!!
    Unfortunately I don't know how to make run the KDE 4.1 do I have to run some particular command??
    After the login if I run startx I get Flux as graphic interface!!
    If I try to run xwmconfig the only item to select is: xinitrc.fluxbox.
    Does someone have some advice to give me??
    Thanks in advance!!

Quote Originally Posted by beppemac View Post
    After I solved all the problem relateg with gcc++ libraries I tought that everything it was done!!
    Unfortunately I don't know how to make run the KDE 4.1 do I have to run some particular command??
    After the login if I run startx I get Flux as graphic interface!!
    If I try to run xwmconfig the only item to select is: xinitrc.fluxbox.
    Does someone have some advice to give me??
    Thanks in advance!!
    If you would have read the whole thread, which has answers to many of the problems people have run into already, you would have read this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishy80 View Post
    my first time, it started flux when I tried startx..

I fixed it by exiting fluxbox, typing fluxbox (or flux, I forget the command to start flux)

and then exiting it again and startx..

so, startx into flux>logout of flux>login to flux (on purpose this time)>logout of flux> login to startx..

thats what I did anyway...

Unhappy Sorry but it doesn't work!!

Quote Originally Posted by ESC201 View Post
    If you would have read the whole thread, which has answers to many of the problems people have run into already, you would have read this...
    I read all the posts about this topic even the one you proposed me!!
    In any case I tried to follow it but no result!!
    Why after the KDE 4.1 installation the command startkde disappeared??
    Wich file do I have to change to set KDE as default window manager??
    Thanks a lot.

Your installation might be screwed up then. You should be able to start KDE with startx. I don't think I can help you more than that. You might want to spend some time on Google or maybe removing flux might do something.

By the way, it helps others to help you if you mention what you have already tried to fix any given problem.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by ESC201 View Post
    Your installation might be screwed up then. You should be able to start KDE with startx. I don't think I can help you more than that. You might want to spend some time on Google or maybe removing flux might do something.

By the way, it helps others to help you if you mention what you have already tried to fix any given problem.
    Ok I'll try the to install BT3 again!!
    I notice that you posted a link where to download KDE 4.1(into a zip file)!!
    How does work the script?? Will it remove the KDE 3.5??
    Thanks again.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast