Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: How to install KDE 4.1 on backtrack :D

Just burned his ISO

Angry keyboard layout

Hi, i got kde4.1 up and running, just got a slight problem, which is: that before i install kde4.1 i could change my keyboard layout, and now I simply cant. =/

i tried to change it @ system settings > "regional and language"
    but when I double click it, it just closes the "system settings" window and does nothing...

any ideas?

thanks in advance

Just burned his ISO

Talking keyboard layout

hi there =) I've found a way to solve my problem, is just as simple as type in:
    Code:
    setxkbmap <map name>
    =) thanks anyway

I ask the GODS of this forum....

Is it possible to make a lzm for this upgrade???
    Or a batch ???

Just burned his ISO

Default my problem

ok i followed all the links downloaded them one by one and installed them now i have rebooted and install the next ones now when i type startx this is my error

(EE) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI capable
    /usr/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrd: line 28: startkde: command not found

waiting for X server to shut down FreeFontPath: FPE "/usr/share/fonts/misc" refcount is 2, should be 1: fixing.

i can run flux and it comes up so what is the problem?

edit:
    also if i run kdeinit i get $display not set

if you follow the link of the first poster..........those file are gone they are updated to kde 4.1.3 so

Quote Originally Posted by benny999 View Post
    ok i followed all the links downloaded them one by one and installed them now i have rebooted and install the next ones now when i type startx this is my error

(EE) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI capable
    /usr/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrd: line 28: startkde: command not found

waiting for X server to shut down FreeFontPath: FPE "/usr/share/fonts/misc" refcount is 2, should be 1: fixing.

i can run flux and it comes up so what is the problem?

edit:
    also if i run kdeinit i get $display not set
    the answer for this question is the #43 # 45 by ESC201

Just burned his ISO

I made a script that installs KDE 4 on Backtrack hxxp://tux-linux.net/artigos/slack-kde4.tar
    With that script I have sucefully installed KDE 4 on BackTrack and Slackware 12.1
    PS: The comments are in portuguese but is easy to understand what the script does

fastboi

Quote Originally Posted by MrMaX View Post
    I made a script that installs KDE 4 on Backtrack hxxp://tux-linux.net/artigos/slack-kde4.tar
    With that script I have sucefully installed KDE 4 on BackTrack and Slackware 12.1
    PS: The comments are in portuguese but is easy to understand what the script does
    it better be working BOY!!!!

edit: All right. I was really paranoid about this script because when i used one from the 1st page of this thread it messed up my bt3 pretty bad. This one works.... partially. Yes kde loaded and such, but after 1st load, the cute mini desktop thingy crashed and now it is not coming back. I think its because some files already missing. Yep yep, script is newly created but already some links are not working. I noticed that when i was running the script. Some of the links were not available already, so some debs/packs were not installed, and i think thats why its causing mini desktop (or whatever it is called) to crash.
    In saying so... here is my....

OFFER

i will create ssh account to a SENIOR MEMBER, so
    a) he/she can use wget to download ALL needed files to install kde 4.1, and then i would move all the files to passwordz.info/kde4/files/.
    b) this person will have to create automated script which would download those files from the site and install kde... automatically on users machine. Script will be moved to passwordz.info/kde4/script/

The problem that we have now is that files every few days are being renewed so these scripts created by members of this forum basically is useless, because once file is renewed, the path in the script is not valid anymore and that causes problems. While my site-- once files and script is hosted, its going to stay there untouched, unless we decide to update it.

As far as my website goes... it has unlimited disk and bandwidth, and speeds are pretty nice. For example, i downloaded bt3 final iso from unixheads.org to passwordz.info by using shell on average... 7MB/s. Download speed from passwordz is nice too. Personally, i am getting 1.5-2.5 MB/s. I think the company provides 100mbit.

So it is really up to you Senior Members. Script like that would be useful for BT community. Not to be rude or anything, but I bet MrMax's script wont be working in a week or so (same thing happened with ao255's script). So why not to have a script that always works...?

So if any senior member is interested, please pm me and we will discuss the details....

p.s. Why senior only? Yeah i know it is not a very complicated script, but i want experienced person to do this, so its a nicely done and stable.

why using script............me i simply download the file into each separate folder then i logout go to flux then installed it step by step then i succesfully installed it........

also the script is old so it wont worked now when i checked each file they upgraded to 4.1.3 the file...some file is kde.kde-compat.extragear.kde-l1ion.deps and some file in ezafi..........if i have a spare time i will post the updated file in each folder......

fastboi

lol WHY? uhhh.... TO SAVE TIME?
    You know, that is why script would be nice... you would not need to download every file-by-file and then install everything step-by-step. Yeah it would take so time to create the script, but in the long run there is a.... GAIN for the whole bt community.

And yeah that is what i said, scripts are not working because files are being upgraded almost daily, that is why i offered someone a job ( volunteer ) to create a script and upload it with the needed files on my website. In this way, script will be working... FOREVER.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast