Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How to install KDE 4.1 on backtrack :D

Riiight, I've been unable to get it to work properly in VMware, problems in form of "no mime types installed" and "octet-stream.desktop" missing, however I'm going for another try later.
    "In God we trust. All others, we virus scan." --Unknown Person

Just burned his ISO

kiwiruss well done!

I will try this in the opportunity...

Hi, I used the http://ao255.persiangig.com/kde4.1-installer2.sh script to install kde4.1 and I had the issue that others had with the GCC package but I believe that I have fixed that but now when I try to startX it starts flux and not KDE. This seems to be the same issue that HeX0R had. I tried to run /usr/bin/kstartupconfig and it does nothing. Any ideas?

EDIT: I rebooted my system and now when I try to startX I get the error...
    Code:
    (EE) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI capable
    /usr/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrd: line 28: startkde: command not found

waiting for X server to shut down FreeFontPath: FPE "/usr/share/fonts/misc" refcount is 2, should be 1: fixing.

EDIT 2: It probably has something to do with half of the .tgz's being 404s and they never got downloaded to my system. Anyone know a mirror?
    EDIT 3: wget doesn't want to work for me. I'm just going to download everything manually in Windows and toss it over to BT. I'll throw up a zip with every package in it so you won't have to sit through the 8.0kb/s slackware.com has when I get them all downloaded.

Developer

The problem is all the packages in the dudes script are for 4.1.1 and they have since changed to 4.1.2. Since he used all the "current" mirrors directories the package names will be constantly changing. If I have time tonight I may fix the script because I foresee lots of these problems.

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    The problem is all the packages in the dudes script are for 4.1.1 and they have since changed to 4.1.2. Since he used all the "current" mirrors directories the package names will be constantly changing. If I have time tonight I may fix the script because I foresee lots of these problems.
    Ah I see. I'm in the process of downloading all of the packages and once done I'm was going to zip them all up and put them on a file hosting site. This 8kb/s is very annoying. Two hours to download a 50mb file. Anyway, with all the packages downloaded I figured I would write a quick script to install everything including the gcc-g++ 4.2.3 package.

Developer

Well I tried to install it just so I could say it worked however I cant get past the gcc error even with the package mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    Well I tried to install it just so I could say it worked however I cant get past the gcc error even with the package mentioned.
    I really can't say that I have gotten past that error since I still have yet to get KDE up and running but I did get it with my previous incomplete installation. I installed slapt-get to update the base GCC Complier and then installed the GCC-G++ package again and it allowed me to start flux once then I rebooted and tried to start flux again and I got the "startkde: command not found" error I've previously mentioned.
    Anyway, I'm still downloading all the packages. I let the big ones download overnight but with a limit of two at a time it's taking a while.

first time I did this... it screwed everything up... 2nd time... it worked fine, was just slow... so I got rid of it.. I didn't use the scripts... I manually downloaded all the parts 1 by 1... (copied pasted and replaced each url with osuosl.org instead of slackware.com)

took a while... but I can vouch that it does work... I got no gcc error...

I manually downloaded each package and made a script to install them. I got the GCC error and I updated it and that error went away but now flux just starts again when I type startx. I think I might have done something wrong on my part though so I'm reverting to my backups and I'll it again. If it doesn't work, I guess I'll try osuosl.org instead. If it does work, I'll put up my script along with all the packages for quick download by others.

my first time, it started flux when I tried startx..

I fixed it by exiting fluxbox, typing fluxbox (or flux, I forget the command to start flux)

and then exiting it again and startx..

so, startx into flux>logout of flux>login to flux (on purpose this time)>logout of flux> login to startx..

thats what I did anyway...

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast