Thread: No eth0 or wlan0 access in vmware

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default No eth0 or wlan0 access in vmware

Hey I used the presetup VMware image.

I am using VMware workstation 7 on an xp sp3. Ive used other linux distros before however for some reason vmware will not bridge any of my connections and nat is a no go. When I start the linux network config it appears to bring up the interfaces then fails.

My goal is to simply have backtrack recognize my computers wireless adapter as a wireless adapter in backtrack. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

vmwares virtual network settings:
    Name Type External Host DCHP Subnet
    VWnet0 Custom - 192.168.20.0
    " " "
    " " "
    VMnet 8 NAT NAT Connected Enabled 192.168.16.0

Whenever I try to change a network to bridged it says "Cannot change network to bridged: There are no unbridged network adapters"

My backdraft is only showing its loopback in the network connections :-(

My goal is just to have backdraft on a wireless connection so i can audit wireless security.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: No eth0 or wlan0 access in vmware

Exactley the same problem and same software... I am mind you using a via usb wireless but it should atleast be able to connect...

Try installing from the iso instead of using the pre-made VMware machine. I've run into some troubles while using the vmware image of BT4F and installing from the ISO solved everything. You'll have to install vmtools manually, but there are tutorials for that on the forums, if you need one.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snayler View Post
    Try installing from the iso instead of using the pre-made VMware machine. I've run into some troubles while using the vmware image of BT4F and installing from the ISO solved everything. You'll have to install vmtools manually, but there are tutorials for that on the forums, if you need one.
    If you or anyone has problems with the vmware image please report them (being specific of course) so that we can fix them or get them fixed.

Just burned his ISO

To bring up the interfaces were you using: sudo /etc/init.d/networking start

Does it work from an ISO boot?

Just burned his ISO

I have tried both the vmware and the iso both seem to respond the same way. Sometimes it will look like it is trying to connect to eth0 but just doesn't grab a ip. The Wireless connection when plugged into windows gets seen right away andf the vmware sees it correctley. Just not in loading back track. I try the /etc/init.d/networking & tried /etc/init.d/networking start with no success it just searches for dhcp on eth0 and all the other adapters arn't found at all.. I hope someone can find some kind of solution...

Thanks

Just burned his ISO

Ok so im not 100% sure but i dont believe you can access your network device using vmware. when I was messing around with cracking wifi it dawned on me, how can you do something like put your network card into monitor mode while your computer is already using it. So I believe the only way to get access to that in vmware is through an external network adapter.