Thread: basic network connections

Default basic network connections

hi! i'm new to this network sniffing thing, but it fascinates me, i have a few quick (or maybe not so quick, i really don't kno) questions about it...

1) wut is a good free version of linux i can run off a CD, and where might i find it?

2) is it possible to get programs such as Commview to display the SSID of a network they are capturing packets from

3) how can i distinguish a neighbor's IP from my own? (obviously i would only want to crack my own WEP, for the laughes)

4) is there any alternative to aircrack-ng???

thank you for your time and consideration... and please be light on the n00b bashing....

Quote Originally Posted by benzslr123 View Post
    hi! i'm new to this network sniffing thing, but it fascinates me, i have a few quick (or maybe not so quick, i really don't kno) questions about it...

1) wut is a good free version of linux i can run off a CD, and where might i find it?
    A good free version of linux? Hmm, let's see. How about backtrack, the linux distro that this forum was made for. It can be downloaded here:
    http://www.remote-exploit.org/backtrack_download.html
    When hungry, eat your rice; when tired, close your eyes. Fools may laugh at me, but wise men will know what I mean. -- Lin-Chi
    - - - - - - - -
    I slept once, it was a Tuesday.

3) how can i distinguish a neighbor's IP from my own? (obviously i would only want to crack my own WEP, for the laughes)
    The easiest way is by looking at the ESSID, i.e. the name of the AP, or the actual MAC address of the AP. Both of these are always broadcasted.

4) is there any alternative to aircrack-ng???

thank you for your time and consideration... and please be light on the n00b bashing....
    For cracking WPA you can use coWPAtty, but you will still need to capture the handshake prior to this. The aircrack-ng suite is the best tool out there for the task it was designed and there should be no reason to look for an alternative program.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

how can i get my network card to display the ESSID or the MAC address? i get the address for any network i am connected to, but i don't see it for any other ones.

well the problem is, i was unable to run airodump on my computer for an unknown reason, but i should be able to acquire the handshake with commview or capsa. the problem that leads to is installing aircrack-ng without downloading airodump.

[QUOTE==Tron=;101303]The easiest way is by looking at the ESSID, i.e. the name of the AP, or the actual MAC address of the AP. Both of these are always broadcasted.

how can i get the MAC address or ESSID of the outside network? my network card acquires the MAC address of a network i am connected to but this does not help me...

how can i find out which BSSIDs, SSIDs, ESSIDs, and MAC addresses correspond?

Default how can i....

how can i determine the ESSID, SSID, BSSID, and MAC adress of a network i am not connected to? my card displays the SSID of every network in range, but the network i am connected to is the only one i can get the BSSID and MAC address for... and i don't see an ESSID anywhere =\

My network card displays the SSID of every network in range, but only the MAC address and BSSID of the network i am connected to, how can i find the ESSID, BSSID, and MAC address for all the other networks?

Hey, and welcome.
    Just by having a look at your post, I am thinking that Backtrack may not be the best distro for you to start out with. Before you go jumping into wep cracking, have you had any Linux experience? With cli? Or are you native to Windoze. There are some here that started out with backtrack and have gotten along fairly well. From my experience, im no guru, I would suggest something a little less command line intensive. Im not trying to bash you, we all have to start somewhere.

My network card displays the SSID of every network in range, but only the MAC address and BSSID of the network i am connected to, how can i find the ESSID, BSSID, and MAC address for all the other networks?
    When you say "my network card", what utility are you using? Personlly, I like to use airodump to get ap information. It gives everything you might want, unless the essid is hidden, then you can wait for someone to connect and airodump will pick up the essid. But that requires monitor mode.