Thread: Activate Wireless Card

Just burned his ISO

Default Activate Wireless Card

Hey, I am new to Linux and I am trying to get my network card to work. At the moment it dose not seam to recognise the card, i have tried the iwconfig to look for it but all i get is a eth1 which dose not have any useful information. Ive been searching with google and all over the forum for two days, but i cant manage to find out how to activate my Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG i am using a Dell X1 Notebook/Laptop.

Any help would be appreciated

/Markus

First open up the Konsole and type in lspci than check IPW2200 is successfully loaded. if not try this thread and site

hxxp://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/
    hxxp://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=11461

Quote Originally Posted by Markusc View Post
    ..........but all i get is a eth1 which dose not have any useful information.............
    What do you mean by "any useful information" exactly?

If you have no recognised wireless interfaces, iwconfig would clearly list all available interfaces, i.e. eth0, eth1, etc, marking them as having "no wireless extensions"

Ordinarily, you would expect there to be an eth0 LAN device (marked as "no wireless extensions") and an eth1 device which would be your wireless interface and be clearly marked as such
    Code:
    IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"name_here"  Nickname:"name_here"
    Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.467 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated
    Etc etc......
    If you have similar output, then the cards driver is loaded and it is working.

If not:

Check "lspci" and look for entries regarding "Ethernet controller" and look to see if your card is listed there.
    (you could just do "lspci | grep Ethernet)

Check "lsmod" to see if the driver module is loaded (ipw2200)
    If not, use "modprobe ipw2200" to load it.

If you're unsure, perhaps you could post the output of "ifconfig" and "iwconfig" and "lspci | grep Ethernet" and "lsmod" just for good measure?

Just burned his ISO

I am having the same problem. I use the same chip set. When i try to crack my wep and it tries to put it in moniter mode it tells me i can't do it. but after that i was not able to access the internet does this mean anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Markusc View Post
    Hey, I am new to Linux and I am trying to get my network card to work. At the moment it dose not seam to recognise the card, i have tried the iwconfig to look for it but all i get is a eth1 which dose not have any useful information. Ive been searching with google and all over the forum for two days, but i cant manage to find out how to activate my Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG i am using a Dell X1 Notebook/Laptop.

Any help would be appreciated

/Markus
    Refer to this for compatibility
    http://backtrack.offensive-security....e=HCL:Wireless

upon reading you should find information on the ipw2200 driver
    as stated by chocolove here is the site you should go to to obtain it

http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/

also, it probably wouldnt hurt to get a patch for aircrack as well

http://patches.aircrack-ng.org/