Thread: BT3 Bugs - Airoscript hidden / No Flash Player / No .AVIs (kplayer) / Screen Sizes /+

Lightbulb BT3 Bugs - Airoscript hidden / No Flash Player / No .AVIs (kplayer) / Screen Sizes /+

1.): First a 'Bug' in this Forum. On this page: hxxp://forums.remote-exploit.org/forumdisplay.php?f=38 some of the posts have a graphic under the "Rating" column which is not being displayed.

This occurs next to these topics:

Getting the rt73 driver to work in BT3final [blank box]
    HP Pavilion DV2000 Boot errors and solutions [blank box]
    HP Pavillion DV6700 Boot errors and solutions [blank box]
    (more) ...

The URL for this picture is: hxxp://forums.remote-exploit.org/blackrazor_fire/misc/tag.png

The "icon" and "smilies" are designed for a white background Forum and since your default theme is very dark there is a 'halo' around the graphic. You need to darken those pixels and re-upload the graphics (please).

Here are some of my (short) notes for issues I found after installing BT3 Final:

2.): You have the program "locate" but it is actually a link to "slocate" (I would prefer 'real' "locate") and I do not think that "updatedb" was ran immediately prior to burning the .ISO since it seems to miss some files and also finds the locate database on my WinXP HD (which BT3 mounts) (I have "locate" in my Cygwin directory).

3.): Your website has "User Tutorials" but some of these links lead to YouTube videos and .AVI files. You did not install a Flash Player in the Browser prior to burning the .ISO (so we need to download it every boot (or re-burn our own .ISO)) and for the .AVIs if we choose to play them with KPlayer it is broken (and hangs for half a minute when I try to exit it). I did not try XMMS but you should figure out what works and "associate" it in the Browser prior to burning the .ISO .

4.): WiCrawl mentions Nessus (but you don't have Nessus). You _could_ have an "Install Nessus Yourself" button which would take the user to the webpage and put Nessus onto the user's USB drive (if one was detected).

5.): AiroScript is 'hidden' in the WiCrawl directory (found it with "locate") but the script needs a bit of fixing. There are three lines with "x-terminal-emulator" that should use the "konsole" program instead. The script might also need a bit of tweaking from someone more expert than I am.

6.): IF BT3 detects that the user has setup a USB drive to store changes between boots (or is running off an HD (as opposed to the "LiveCD")) then when shuttingdown you should store the "random seed" for the next boot.

7.): Xterm gives messages about "unable to open font" and uses substitutes.

8.): When using the "Flux Desktop" there are TWO "Restart" entries (and the menu is not the same for the different Desktops).

9.): There are LOTs of errors on the "hidden" console.

10.): The program "SpoonWEP" spells "LENGTH" this way: "LENGHT".

11.): The default screen size is 1680x1050x60Hz but _my_ video card does not like that choice and my monitor's hardware has a builtin program that warns against using this size. Your program says I can use CTRL-ALT-PLUS to change screen size. For _ME_ it is better if I hit CTRL-ALT-MINUS two times. In other threads people mention that they are unhappy with the screen sizes, more choices in the x-config would be great.

12.) I have an NVidia card and tried your "experimental" Nvidia boot but found that a few screens that poped up had BLACK boxes (the text and background were the same color). When I rolled the mouseover there was 'something' detected there.

13.): OSWA Assistant has a great Expert / Novice help system (left bar) and also uses a "Logical Sequence" for pentesting. I think they have a couple of programs that you are missing (but I like BT3 better since it's drivers work on my system and OSAW-A uses older MadWiFi drivers). Check out the .ISO here: hxxp://oswa-assistant.securitystartshere.org/ hxxp://securitystartshere.org/downloads/oswa-assistant.iso

If someone (who would be willing to FIX these bugs) has specific questions about these issues then I can try booting from the DVD and recreating the conditions where I discovered these bugs and post more detailed info if needed.

I'm going to be busy attempting to install BT3 under Xen and put it on an USB drive, but like Arnold says ... (you know what he sez).

Nokii

Regarding Bug Report #3 - Playing videos:

It would seem that BT3 does have a file called /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so but perhaps it was
    not installed correctly or recognized by Firefox 2.0.0.14 - going to the Adobe site and installing a new Flash
    Player works correctly but you loose it if you reboot (unless you install BT3 to HD).

I tried an ".avi" video from hxxp://wiki.remote-exploit.org/index.php/ExternalHowto , specifically this one:

[Video] Attacking WiFi Networks With Traffic Injection - video 1
    hxxp://wiki.remote-exploit.org/index.php/Howto:video_1
    hxxp://sid.rstack.org/videos/confs/0506_Recon_WirelessInjection.avi

I attempted to use XMMS (after no luck with using KPlayer) and found that XMMS won't play it either .

I ended up getting VLC from: hxxp://.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/vlctest/pkg/12.1/ .
    There may be more hope with using VLC but it won't run as root. The plugin needs to be installed in
    "~/.mozilla/plugins" and the file vlc-0.9.2-i486-1alien.tgz needs to be untarred in the "/" directory.

Create a new user to run VLC and you should be able to 'su' to that user to play ".avi" files (and LOTS
    of other files too). In your browser go to page "about: plugins" to see that VLC supports 32 file types.

Most popular audio and video types are supported including DivX and Windows Media. VLC is way better
    than KPlayer or XMMS and it runs nicely on Windows also.

I'm pretty sure Adobe doesn't allow flash to be installed with linux operating systems. Any that I've installed I had to install it. That's no different here. I get the same no picture thing with some light weight browsers, but only for the thread tags, I don't see a "rating" column. You're not going to get much multimedia support with backtrack, that's not what it's made for, if you want that, install Ubuntu.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Nokii View Post
    It would seem that BT3 does have a file called /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so but perhaps it was
    not installed correctly or recognized by Firefox 2.0.0.14 - going to the Adobe site and installing a new Flash
    Player works correctly but you loose it if you reboot (unless you install BT3 to HD).
    BT3 ships with firefox 2.0.0.10 and flash plugin working and installed into /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.10/plugins
    As soon as you update it with slapt-get or any other tool, you'll lost it. The solution is just to move the .so (or getting an updated version from adobe) into /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins or into your own profile folder.

This is not a BT3 specific fault: it inherits this behavior from slackware which just symlinks /usr/lib/firefox-$LATEST_VERSION with /usr/lib/firefox and all the plugins installed into it "get lost" as soon as the browser tgz gets an update.
    If we want to be picky, the BT3 "fault" is to having the flash plugin installed system-wide into /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.10/plugins instead of /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins (which is a real folder and will never be unlinked)
    EeePC 70x enhancing module: http//sid77.slackware.it/bt3/

Just burned his ISO

I confirm all those bugs happento me too..

Damn i should not have upgraded from BT3Beta , which is ironically more complete..

Plus .. SQUASHFS support is crippled in USB version (not tested in CD version and i hope it will work there) ..

You cannot remaster BT3 ISO...
    You cannot even install lzm packages from Slax site..

Quote Originally Posted by v3ss0n View Post
    I confirm all those bugs happen to me too..
    You cannot remaster BT3 ISO... You cannot even install lzm packages from Slax site..
    Thanks for confiming.

You can install BT3 to (virtual or real) "HD", see my Tutorial:

Tutorial: Advanced - Installing Backtrack 3 under VirtualBox
    hxxp://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=17289