Thread: triple boot with XP,Backtrack3 and Ubuntu

Unhappy triple boot with XP,Backtrack3 and Ubuntu

Hello everyone i new to linux and have googled and have tried for hrs to make this work but to no avail. What i have is xp,backtrack3 and ubuntu. I can boot from xp and ubuntu but when i try to boot from bt3 my computer restarts and brings me back to the grub bootloader again with my boot options. Could someone please help me. Here is a copy of my grub file.

## ## End Default Options ##

title Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic
    root (hd0,2)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=UUID=cb976062-f773-415b-85bd-f7ccb8fab69a ro quiet splash xforcevesa
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic
    quiet

title Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic (recovery mode)
    root (hd0,2)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=UUID=cb976062-f773-415b-85bd-f7ccb8fab69a ro single
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic

title Ubuntu 8.04, memtest86+
    root (hd0,2)
    kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
    quiet

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
    # ones.
    title Other operating systems:
    root

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
    # on /dev/sda1
    title Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    root (hd0,0)
    savedefault
    chainloader +1

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for an existing
    # linux installation on /dev/sda2.
    title Backtrack3 (on /dev/sda2)
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2 ro vga = 791
    savedefault
    boot

WOW!! what you need all of those for? I had Xp and BT2 on a box once and BT2 fried my xp.... lol... BT doesn't play very well with others....

Hopefully someone can help you as I have no clue... just wanted to share my experience...maybe someone could help me too... but i'm not too worried about it...

Quote Originally Posted by jhonnycage828 View Post
    WOW!! what you need all of those for? I had Xp and BT2 on a box once and BT2 fried my xp.... lol... BT doesn't play very well with others....

Hopefully someone can help you as I have no clue... just wanted to share my experience...maybe someone could help me too... but i'm not too worried about it...
    Well that is just completely and utterly bullshit. BT plays just perfectly well along with any other OS and will not intervene with your other installations in any way. Naturally this is assuming that you have a clue what you are doing when you install it to your HDD, otherwise a live USB or CD might be a safer option for you.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    Well that is just completely and utterly bullshit. BT plays just perfectly well along with any other OS and will not intervene with your other installations in any way. Naturally this is assuming that you have a clue what you are doing when you install it to your HDD, otherwise a live USB or CD might be a safer option for you.
    I know I was an idiot back then... I didn't know what I was doing and for some reason editing the boot file after a week or so decided to quit working... I was a COMPLETE newb as it is put...