Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: i've been 'hacked'

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    41

    Default i've been 'hacked'

    I was on slackware coding some stuff (C++) and suddenly at 12 midnight my web browser stopped working. I happened to still be able to chat on msn though. Shortly after, msn stopped working too. Then it happened to my roommate. Shortly after, my roommate is able to ping google, but I am not.

    I then decided to reboot into windows (same computer, dual boot) and nothing works there too. I decided to call it a night at this point. I boot up about 8 hours later in the morning and nothing works still! I then boot BT3 off usb and everything works like it should. What the hell?

    How could someone restrict access in such a way, what kind of trojan am I looking for (if it even is a trojan).

    I've also tried connecting to an open network in my area, and have tried going from WAN to LAN, but nothing works still. This leads me to think its something on my machine.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elninio View Post
    I was on slackware coding some stuff (C++) and suddenly at 12 midnight my web browser stopped working. I happened to still be able to chat on msn though. Shortly after, msn stopped working too. Then it happened to my roommate. Shortly after, my roommate is able to ping google, but I am not.

    I then decided to reboot into windows (same computer, dual boot) and nothing works there too. I decided to call it a night at this point. I boot up about 8 hours later in the morning and nothing works still! I then boot BT3 off usb and everything works like it should. What the hell?

    How could someone restrict access in such a way, what kind of trojan am I looking for (if it even is a trojan).

    I've also tried connecting to an open network in my area, and have tried going from WAN to LAN, but nothing works still. This leads me to think its something on my machine.
    This in no way sounds like you would be the victim of a hacking attempt to me, but most likely is related to your ISP or your network/connection configurations. Why do you think a hacker/bot would want to disconnect you from the internet when this would be his/its only route to your computer?

    Furthermore what do you mean when you say that you tried connecting to an open network and could not get from the WAN to the LAN, to me this makes no sense at all? If you connected to an unencrypted wireless AP, which it sounds like, you would be at the LAN side of the network when successfully connected. As this most likely is not a network you are authorized to access I for one am glad that you are having issues connecting to it.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    This in no way sounds like you would be the victim of a hacking attempt to me, but most likely is related to your ISP or your network/connection configurations. Why do you think a hacker/bot would want to disconnect you from the internet when this would be his/its only route to your computer?

    Furthermore what do you mean when you say that you tried connecting to an open network and could not get from the WAN to the LAN, to me this makes no sense at all? If you connected to an unencrypted wireless AP, which it sounds like, you would be at the LAN side of the network when successfully connected. As this most likely is not a network you are authorized to access I for one am glad that you are having issues connecting to it.
    Because it happened randomly, because only firefox stopped working randomly (I just had it open to check my gmail every 30 mins while i coded stuff in c++), because it happened to my roomate after it happened to me, and he got his connection back without having done anything (this wasn't the case for me).

    I'm on a passworded wireless network, I tried connecting to the passworded one that my neighbors have - this didn't work for me but it did work for my neighbours.

    I think something has been done so I cannot access the network, but still allowing the 'hacker' to access my computer from the network - perhaps by closing some ports...

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    41

    Default

    ... and I think we can eliminate the router or modem as being the problem since I can access these networks while in backtrack, simply connecting through the wireless manager...

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Just sounds like some random software glitches.... Just try reinstalling your router/modem or whatever it is....

    Wireless manager is probably working because it just works differently...

    Sounds like the source of your problem is the computer itself not anyone elses... There is no hacker after you... If you had a hacker your computer would likely not be working at all..

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jhonnycage828 View Post
    Sounds like the source of your problem is the computer itself not anyone elses... There is no hacker after you... If you had a hacker your computer would likely not be working at all..
    Or working perfectly normally as far as you can see.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    41

    Default

    it just randomly stopped working, and only my computer, what are the chances of this?

  8. #8
    Senior Member Thorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Green Dome
    Posts
    1,509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elninio View Post
    it just randomly stopped working, and only my computer, what are the chances of this?
    Fairly good, if network config file is corrupted for any reason.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

  9. #9
    Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    660

    Default

    Try reinstalling your drivers for your network card.

    If your running slackware only use root to administer the computer, DO NOT use root as an everyday user.

    You also might want to check out if anything is amiss in your network config file as Thorn already mentioned.

    Its possible your NIC went bad.

    Winsockfix for 2000/xp usually does the trick for those OS's.

    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4372.html

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    Or working perfectly normally as far as you can see.
    Lol... excellent point Tron.... If there is a hacker after you he may just want you to be his server/spreader... which may explain your friends computer going haywire too... the net not working could just be the evil side effects.... like in muts's example of the server crashing as a result of the code execution and all...

    good times....good times... lol...

    anyway...best of luck to ya and hope you get this figured out and handled...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •