Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Linux and Bracktrack Need Installation help.

Just burned his ISO

Default New to Linux and Bracktrack Need Installation help.

I have a HP pavilion DV7-3098 laptop and want to dual boot Windows 7 Ultimate and Backtrack 4. The laptop has 2 physical drives both are 500gb. The first drive has the windows installation on it. I want backtrack 4 on the second hard drive in a 105gb partition that I have already created using windows. The 150gb partition is unformatted, as I figured it would be best to let backtrack do that. I boot backtrack form the live cd and boot into the gui then I run the install script, but I get stuck at the part where backtrack wants to install onto the hdd. I don't see the 150 gb partition I created, nor do I know how to find it to tell backtrack to install there. I don't know where backtrack wants to install, and I don't want to mess up my windows install. How can I dual boot them and still keep the windows partition (and preferably the windows boot loader). Please be as clear and simple as possible as I'm new to Linux and don't know the commands much. The reason I have to use backtrack is because I'm taking a network secrity course and we have to use backtrack for parts of the course.

I have a few more question, so I'll post them here rather thatn making a bunch of different forum threads.

Is there a gui to configure my wireless card? I tried iwconfig, but that confused me. I will learn iwconfig later, but is there a gui I can use to get me started?

Next question. I have a bluetooth mouse, will it work in backtrack? does backtrack support bluetooth?

Final question. How can I update/install the correct drivers for backtrack? I doubt it is as simple as going to the manufacture's website and downloading and installing a .exe file.

Thanks for all the help.

Just burned his ISO SuspectZero's Avatar

Default Re: New to Linux and Bracktrack Need Installation help.

first things first, backtrack is not for newbies. im not being mean, im just saying it as it is and im not the only one who will tell you that. second, you said that the 150gb partition is unformatted, format it to reiserfs then try running the installer. also get gparted if you want a good partitioner, any partitioning done through windows is garbage. as for the gui for your wifi card, in terminal type "wicd" then "wicd-client" (without the quotes). that should open up a gui for the wifi. in regards to the bluetooth mouse, just try it and see. and in terms of your driver installation question, what kind of driver are you trying to install?
    Take What You Can, Give Nothing Back...

Just burned his ISO

Ok Thanks. I realize that backtrack isn't for newbies, but like I said I need it for an IT security course. I have more questions though. How do I format the unformated partition with reiserfs? How do I pair my mouse to see if it is working, or turn bluetooth on to see if it is working? Again gui tools are helpful. As for drivers, I don't know exactly what needs to be installed, but I'm sure there are some, as the laptop is a fairly new model. I guess one driver that needs to be updated is the graphics card. I think it needs updated because the max resolution it is displaying is 1200X600, where my max resolution in Windows in 1600x900.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Here we go again. OP maybe instead of wasting your time/life/money on a IT Security course you should switch over to an IT basics course. I really need to start writing these schools and find out whats going on.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeRangers View Post
    The reason I have to use backtrack is because I'm taking a network secrity course and we have to use backtrack for parts of the course.
    Where the heck are these schools or teachers assigning homework with BT? I have taken IT classes as well as some info sec classes and have never seen this! This is not to single you out OP, but this has been on the forums as of late, and I am curious to see which school/classes offers this.

edit: This is not to say that they don't exist, I am sure they do, I just am curious to see where these courses or teachers are.
    Last edited by Lincoln; 02-17-2010 at 10:39 PM.

Just burned his ISO

Archangel.Amael,

I have taken a "IT basics" course. I have a degree in computer science. I was really interested in the networking security parts of the course, unfortunately the course I took didn't deal with Linux at all. Now I'm taking a course that recommends using Backtrack, and my limited knowledge of Ubuntu isn't enough for me to master Backtrack, so I'm asking a help forum for, you guessed it, help.

Lincoln,

Well, if you really want to know, it's a correspondence course from the EC Council (based out of New Mexico). The course it Network Penetration Prevention.
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 02-17-2010 at 11:02 PM.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Archangel.Amael,

Well, if you really want to know, it's a correspondence course from the EC Council (based out of New Mexico). The course it Network Penetration Prevention.
    Attend Online, Live Official EC-Council Information Security Training through iClass

So which course is it? I didn't see one called "Network Penetration Prevention"?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Archangel.Amael,

I have taken a "IT basics" course. I have a degree in computer science. I was really interested in the networking security parts of the course, unfortunately the course I took didn't deal with Linux at all. Now I'm taking a course that recommends using Backtrack, and my limited knowledge of Ubuntu isn't enough for me to master Backtrack, so I'm asking a help forum for, you guessed it, help.

Lincoln,

First use the edit button instead of making multiple consecutive posts.
    Second don't get all upset it won't help you.
    Third if you took a course or more on computer science then at some point you had to learn to use a command line configuration utility of some sorts , whether it was in windows or linux. So my point is if you can't bother to research a bit on the basics then there is no need to go forward.
    Now in the spirit of helping you there are two threads in which you should read.
    One is in the tutorial section by pureh@te and it about configuring your network. The other is in the Beginner forum and it is by me "if you are new to BT and linux read this thread" the titles are a little off but they are there and at the top.

Start with one thing at a time. I would suggest how you want to install and pick one of the guides out here on the site and go for it. If you have problems of a specific sort and have exhausted all of the search options then by all means make a post detailing what you did and the result (or lack thereof). Make sure you include any and all commands and errors if any.
    This will help us to better help you.

Just burned his ISO

I was using the more widely accepted term. The course name is Certified Ethical Hacker. When I tell people I'm taking a Certified Ethical Hacker Course, they look at me like I'm some sort criminal and are like "oh, you're a hacker..."

Lincoln,

Generally these courses have pre-requisites which are there in place because the course will require you to have basic or intermediate knowledge of Linux. This isn't meant as a discouragement, it just means you need to get a little foundation under you before you get going.

My advice would be picking up Ubuntu for a few months and familiarizing yourself with the command line. More than likely though, you will be stubborn (like myself) and want to do things the hard way, so here's where I would start off with Backtrack:

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...backtrack.html
    HowTo

Those guides ought to be enough for your original question. Good luck with your class.
    Last edited by Lincoln; 02-17-2010 at 11:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast