Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Backtrack from within VMware in Vista from same HDD((dualboot))??

  1. #1
    Member Dissident85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    127

    Default Backtrack from within VMware in Vista from same HDD((dualboot))??

    Hi all, I wanted to try something out but before I did I though I would ask for some advice. I have Backtrack to dualboot with Vista. What I wanted to do was install VMware in Vista and have Backtrack as a virtual machine. So that I have to option to access it from within Vista, and I was thing of maybe using VirtualBox to access Vista from within Backtrack. I'm not sure if VirtualBox has the option of using a HDD partition as a “virtual drive” but its something I am going to have to look into. Now I have a few concerns in doing this....
    1. I have Backtrack with compiz. It is already a little buggy as it is now, I think it might just sh!t it self if I try to run it in VMware.
    2. Performance. Vista is resource hungry as it is, how would it handle trying to boot up a os on a different partition on the same HDD. and I know you do that anyway with VMware, im just curious as to if I do it this way how will it handle it as I don’t think this is your everyday configuration?
    3. Corruption, do you think there is a chance I could corrupt something in trying to do this?

    Just incasae you were wondering... to help clarify what I am trying to do . This is the configeratuion of my HDD
    Code:
    /dev/sda1	NTFS		(VISTA)
    /dev/sda2	Linux Swap
    /dev/sda3	ext3		(Back|Track3 Final with compiz)

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dissident85 View Post
    1. I have Backtrack with compiz. It is already a little buggy as it is now, I think it might just sh!t it self if I try to run it in VMware.
    VMware is not able to emulate video hardware acceleration and will therefore not run Compiz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissident85 View Post
    2. Performance. Vista is resource hungry as it is, how would it handle trying to boot up a os on a different partition on the same HDD. and I know you do that anyway with VMware, im just curious as to if I do it this way how will it handle it as I don’t think this is your everyday configuration?
    This depends entirely on your hardware specifications. The amount of available RAM and the your CPU are most important.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissident85 View Post
    3. Corruption, do you think there is a chance I could corrupt something in trying to do this?
    Yes.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •