Thread: Alfa USB

Just burned his ISO

Default Alfa USB

I have had the Alfa usb 500mw for a while now and I just switch laptops. I currently have a thinkpad t61 with BT3F installed to my hard drive. When it boots up and I proceed to put it in monitor mode if says its not there. I use iwconfig and it only shows my internal wireless which is a intel 4965, then I run these commands, rmmod r8187, modprobe r8187, and then dhcpcd wlan1, still no luck. But when I unplug it and plug it back in it works. The reason why I dont want to plug it in and out is because I plan on putting the Alfa internally in my laptop

Will it still be usb internally? I've never seen one of these, but if it's a usb to mini-pci adapter then it shouldn't give you the same problems as just a pci card.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

hack,

I have the T61p and the Alfa has the same behavior.....need to unplug and plug in the usb to be recognized.

It would be interesting to see (photos) how you shoe horn the Alfa into the T61.

A

Just burned his ISO

I have already done it and then I find out that you have to unplug it which sucks. I guess I have to add a switch of some sort to it. I took the usb port that was by itself on the right side of the lappy and just soldered 4 wires to it and routed them through the pcmcia slot, which I took completely out.

alacrityathome, could you tell me if it is all of the usb ports or just a certain one. thanks

and does anybody know a work around

I have to go. I will disassemble and put pics up later

Just burned his ISO

Found it usefull only for cracking, reliability on connections to networks is crap on this chipset, never locks on the right speed..