Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Live CD Help

Just burned his ISO

Default Live CD Help

I downloaded BT3-final.iso from the bactrack site.

Burned it to a cd-r with Nero as an ISO and I can't get it to boot. I have tried it with several different types of discs, cd-r, dvd-r, dvd rw's. I have tried in 2 different laptops and a desktop. I enabled boot from cd drive also.

I followed the sticky "BackTrack CD won't boot???" in this forum.

The only thing I didn't do was check the md5 sum. I'm not sure how to do this, but shouldn't it be a good download anyways...I have downloaded it a few times and have gotten the same results with all. I've been reading through posts on here for a couple hours now and haven't had any luck with anything I've found.

When I have the cd in the drive and restart my computer to boot from the cd drive nothing happens and windows boots......

Any help that you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Have you changed the boot order in your BIOS so that it's looking at the CD first?

When you boot into Windows and view the CD what do you see? Do you see the .iso file sat on the CD?

What are the contents of the CD after you've burnt it?
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    What are the contents of the CD after you've burnt it?
    Hopefully not backtrack3.iso
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by loftrat View Post
    Have you changed the boot order in your BIOS so that it's looking at the CD first?

When you boot into Windows and view the CD what do you see? Do you see the .iso file sat on the CD?
    yes I have made it so it looks for the cd drive first. I know, or at least I think I know if is looking for it because the cd drive spins while the computer starts up.

Just burned his ISO

the contents of the cd shows 1 file. BT3.nrg. Am I burning it wrong?

I open Nero, click recorder > burn image> selct where I have BT3 iso saved to > click open> click burn> and then it asks where I want to save the image file to....> so I select the cd/dvd drive...then it burns it to the disc

Just burned his ISO

what should the burnt cd contain?? Mine just has bt3-final....right click it, go to properties, and it says it is a .nrg.

Just burned his ISO

my replies are not posting.....

Just burned his ISO

When your computer starts up there will be several keys that you can press the one's your interested in are the bios and the boot menu

computers manufactured by different companies usually have different keys, but they show up when booting so you know what to press...

for me on my dell machine, F12 is boot menu, and F1 is Setup/bios (its called setup for my dell)

Usually you don't have to change the bios boot order and can just click the boot menu, then make sure you select CD-ROM drive instead of hard disk

Also as other people have stated make sure your BURNING THE IMAGE TO DISK instead of BURNING THE ISO TO DISK! there is a difference!

Also you cannot just extract the files within the ISO then burn them! the ISO has something special to make the CD bootable!

If you have a USB thumb drive around with at least 1GIG you could try that as well. I have made a CD and USB drive work properly! only thing is if you have a really old computer the USB boot option is not available in the boot menu or bios!

good luck

Just burned his ISO

I figured it out. I burned the ISO with a easy cd creator instead of Nero. Thanks for the help. I'm sure I'll need some more soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast