Thread: A question about ports and ms sql...

Default A question about ports and ms sql...

I just installed SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine MSDE2000A (42.2MB) on my laptop. I installed it, rebooted, and started the server with the service sql server. The icon comes out on the system tray with a green dot as in play. This was curious but when the server went up, windows xp pro didn't prompt me to unblock the ports. So, I opened up the ports on the windows firewall, both ports 1433 and 1434 tcp. Anyhow, so then on my other laptop I ran nmap -sT scan on 1433 and 1434. The two ms sql services came up but they were both filtered. I ran a udp scan, and they came out open|filtered. I know the udp scan isn't as accurate as the tcp scan. However, why would those two ports be filtered. The two laptops are both on the same internal network. I even disabled the windows firewall and even then they were filtered. I dont have antivirus software on my laptop either. I don't get it, why would it be filtered? There's simply no firewall blocking the ports.

I figured it out. I had to install sql 2000 server desktop engine with the option DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0
    hehe, works like a charm. This is awesome.