Thread: "video mode not supported"

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Question "video mode not supported"

Hello.

I have used Backtrack 2 live cd in the past with a laptop that I no longer own. I am now trying to use the Backtrack 2 live cd with another machine. I would like to stick with Backtrack 2 since I know the commands already.

The cd is known to work and my bios allows booting from cd-rom.

When I get to the "boot:" prompt, I press enter. My monitor has a message that says "video mode not supported"

After waiting a few minutes, I'll type "root" and "toor" and it sounds like the disc spins up. I'll try to type "startx" and it looks like the disc is loading, but then drops me back to the error message.

What should I enter or change to enable my video mode? The video card is integrated and an unknown make/model and my monitor is an LCD Samsung 152N (both work with my ubuntu and arch installations).

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bionnaki View Post
    Hello.

I have used Backtrack 2 live cd in the past with a laptop that I no longer own. I am now trying to use the Backtrack 2 live cd with another machine. I would like to stick with Backtrack 2 since I know the commands already.
    What commands? Back|Track 3 not only carries a majority of the same tools it has upgrades and additional software included....

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowKill View Post
    What commands? Back|Track 3 not only carries a majority of the same tools it has upgrades and additional software included....
    I will try the bt3 live cd to see if it works. I will report back.

Just burned his ISO

solved.

for future reference:

boot with btsafe
    run xconf
    startx
    if error appears, press control alt +

Hey bionnaki,
    when it runs under Ubuntu , than you can figure out your video card.
    Do that and search the net for compability or other solutions.
    Maybe your graphic chip is not supported under BT.
    That should not mean you won't be able to use it, maybe you have to update your life cd with drivers.

@ShadowKill
    ARgh... same signature.. think you had it before me, so i've to look for a new one

greez & gn8 (de)
    Be sensitive in choosing where you ask your question. You are likely to be ignored, or written off as a loser, if you:

* post your question to a forum where it's off topic
    * post a very elementary question to a forum where advanced technical questions are expected, or vice-versa
    * cross-post to too many different newsgroups
    * post a personal e-mail to somebody who is neither an acquaintance of yours nor personally responsible for solving your problem

Quote Originally Posted by terminal86 View Post

@ShadowKill
    ARgh... same signature.. think you had it before me, so i've to look for a new one

greez & gn8 (de)
    Indeed. MINE!!!

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by terminal86 View Post
    Hey bionnaki,
    when it runs under Ubuntu , than you can figure out your video card.
    Do that and search the net for compability or other solutions.
    Maybe your graphic chip is not supported under BT.
    That should not mean you won't be able to use it, maybe you have to update your life cd with drivers.

@ShadowKill

greez & gn8 (de)
    I think my issue has less to do with my video card and more to do with my monitor and resolution, no? Is there anyway to change the default resolution or change to a non-graphical boot with the live cd?

but anyways, here is the output of lshw and lspci: pastebin com/m769d9dcd