Thread: Are Dual-booting and VM Player Equal? (noob)

Just burned his ISO

Default Are Dual-booting and VM Player Equal? (noob)

I just recently bought an nc6000 from ebay for the sole purpose of messing with Backtrack, which I learned about from SANS 401. I've been looking around on the forum for some time and have noticed that there are several different ways in which people install/use BT (live, hdd, usb, vmware, etc). I have VMWare Player on my laptop but I was wondering if there is any functionality gained or lost using VM Player and not just dual booting? Do I have all of the same funtionality either way?

vmware player is the same as vmware with the only exception that you can't create virtual machines from it, you can only played one that is already created it. Also, I think so people have mentioned that the only wireless devices recognized on vmware are the usb types, meaning the virtual machine won't be able to sniff using your laptop's wireless card.

Just burned his ISO

It should also be noted that your processor and your RAM take a significant hit when trying to boot through VMWare. I'm very positive many people here would reccomend you to install it to your HDD if you are seriously thinking about pentesting.