Thread: "This program cannot be run in DOS mode"

Default "This program cannot be run in DOS mode"

I'm trying to run pwdump4 on my computer. I have SYSTEM priveleges. What does this mean exactly? I mean how can I run that file in windows xp? I've seen it run in dos mode before, why is this error getting returned?

I understand that my windows/dos questions would not fall into linux territory. However, considering this is a specialized pentesting forum which potentially spans a number of OSes, dos/windows should be included in the discussion.

I've tried running the program in windows, under command--run. Besides, isn't running the command in cmd the same as running it in windows, since cmd is not a true DOS?

I know it has something to do with the Program Information File. I know that the compatibility mode for pwdump4.exe is off.

could you guys give me a hint or point me in the right way, i'm totally stuck here.

Anybody please...

Could somebody explain what the difference is between DOS only mode and MS-DOS mode? I thought MS-DOS is what comes with windows, hence the 'MS' part. So MS-DOS is the cmd shell in windows xp? Then why wouldn't pwdump4.exe execute if I'm running it from a cmd.exe shell? Isn't that MS-DOS and not DOS only mode?

This fundamental difference is something that every pentester should understand. I've been looking through google for the past few days. I can't find anything that clearly resolves my problem, which is why pwdump4.exe returns a "This program cannot be run in DOS mode" while I run it in a cmd shell in windows xp.

Also read that by right clicking the cmd shell and clicking advanced options to have windows not interfere or something along those lines. However, in windows xp pro I dont' have that option.

Quote Originally Posted by drakoth777 View Post
    I understand that my windows/dos questions would not fall into linux territory. However, considering this is a specialized pentesting forum which potentially spans a number of OSes, dos/windows should be included in the discussion.
    No, it should not. If you look at the top left of every page here you'll see an image with a two-toned name. Back|Track. This is a Back|Track forum, with contributions from professional pentesters. This is not a Windows forum and as such, it's not surprising that 5 out of the 6 posts here, including this one, are your own. Ask this question on a windows support forum, not here.

As for that "error", the answer is plastered everywhere on google, so don't expect any other posts besides this one. Unless of course they are to reinforce that this is not a Windows support forum.

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill