Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: HELP PLEASE! obtain router serial

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by slim76 View Post
    I'm none of those, its just a hobby and learning for me!
    I would like to see the info used to secure a network rather than to hack one!
    Is the info actually past on to the isp's?
    Ive also noticed a lot of these people are actually helping other people hack networks that clearly are not their own, also ive noticed that these same people have committed some form of illegal actions them selfs!
    If you have clear evidence of such, you should be reporting it to the mods.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Could do i guess, dont see much point though!
    All i wanted to do was hightlight something, but its all got out of control and im gettin nothing but abuse from people!
    I guess next time i will keep my findings to my self, or better still just inform the proper people!

Just burned his ISO

Sorry to jump on an old thread but I thought I needed to voice my opinion (which doesnt count for a lot granted). I can't understand why these forums are created with advice and "how to's" on various items and then someone comes along and asks a question only to get shouted down. I think and certainly hope people are on here to learn. I am interested in testing just how good wireless security is - but if I wanted to do it for the wrong reasons then I could connect to about a handful of unsecure access points and go mad - but whats the point?!

I am "trying" to find the pattern for Tiscali routers also just to see if whats being said (which makes sense) and to highlight the fact to ISP's that theres no point in setting up WEP/WPA etc etc if its just as vulenable as an open network.

So after my slight rant (sorry) am I in the correct place to discover these methods or shall I go else where?

Thanks
    Shabba!!

Quote Originally Posted by shabbaranks View Post
    Sorry to jump on an old thread but I thought I needed to voice my opinion (which doesnt count for a lot granted). I can't understand why these forums are created with advice and "how to's" on various items and then someone comes along and asks a question only to get shouted down. I think and certainly hope people are on here to learn. I am interested in testing just how good wireless security is - but if I wanted to do it for the wrong reasons then I could connect to about a handful of unsecure access points and go mad - but whats the point?!
    Just head over to the idiot's corner and read the first 10 to 20 posts. We get a lot of "help me steal internet from my neighbor" questions here. As soon as we figure out that's the OP's intent, he/she gets called out on it, then the thread gets thrown to the corner, and maybe the OP gets banned. We're all about learning here, but not breaking the law.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

I completely understand your point so dont take this the wrong way - but surely its down to the individuals intent as to why they are signed up to this forum and what they intend on doing with the information??

There are numerous guides and tuts as to cracking wep etc but how many people use this information to build their knowledge and how many use it to do as it says and crack wep?

Thanks to this site and the Backtrack software my knowledge of security has grown and my skill base has also but I have no intention of using the info I have found here unlawfully, but on the other hand with the exact same information someone else could. So as I state isnt it down to the individual as to what thier intensions are?

Thanks for your understanding, I just felt this point needed adressing.

Developer

Thanks to this site and the Backtrack software my knowledge of security has grown and my skill base has also but I have no intention of using the info I have found here unlawfully, but on the other hand with the exact same information someone else could. So as I state isnt it down to the individual as to what thier intensions are?
    What people fail to realize is we do this stuff for free. I spend a good few hours a day keeping the forum spam and idiot free (as much as I'm allowed).
    Its almost like a job. So while you are correct that there is lots on information out there which can be used for good and bad, we have no way of really knowing what your intention is. So since there is no way to know we must use our own personal discretion. We under under no obligation what so ever to disclose or help anyone with anything around here. This forum is for support for Backtrack Linux and anything else we do is extra. I'm not saying no one should help you but what I am saying is that until you are a little more well known or have made some contributions to the community you may not get the help you are seeking. A lot of my help is done via PM if I feel the person is on the level. Once again its at my discretion. Every member here is going to have a different opinion of how much "hacking" information should be on a public forum.

So once again to recap, since the internet is a big dark evil place where people often misrepresent themselves, we have no way of knowing your intentions and nor are we going to believe you when you explain them. We have nothing but our own gut feelings and intuitive thoughts to go on. Hope that clears up the revival of this ancient thread.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234