Thread: open source RO.B.IN routers/firmware

Default open source RO.B.IN routers/firmware

http://open-mesh.com/wiki/doku.php?id=open-mesh

The magic that makes this work is the RO.B.IN firmware running on a very low-cost (about $49) “smart” box about the size of a pack of cards that can spread a single DSL across multiple rooms and buildings. An example is the Accton MR3201a router available at www.open-mesh.com/store (shown to the right). We say “smart” as it does all the work of figuring out how to route the wireless signals. All you have to do is plug it in! RO.B.IN routers are based completely on open source software, so they are also easy to customize.
    Has anybody set one of these guys up?

For my 4th year project I am doing a detailed analysis of this open source set up vs. the Cisco Aironet range of wireless products.

Looks kinda cool, wonder what kind of latency these guys have? I could see these things in an apartment complex and five or six people fire up WOW and kill the network.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

That is what i am hopefully going to find out. This particular stuff uses a routing protocol called B.A.T.M.A.N. It was designed purposely for ad-hoc communications i.e. Mesh topology. And from what I have read so far from
    https://www.open-mesh.net/batman
    it sounds pretty cool.

I have yet to dive into the project as I have only selected the project.

It will be interesting to see how these "guys" compare against the Cisco gear and assess the performance and scalability