Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issues with wireless enabling

Just burned his ISO

Question Issues with wireless enabling

Hey all,

Been working on trying to get my wireless to enable and connect for the last 3 or so days. I've searched the entire forum to the best of my knowledge and then proceeded to google after that in hopes it may be a linux issue however I'm not all to sure.

My problem is that when I attempt at using the KWLan utility to scan for available wireless it shows none. Before installing BT3 Final to the HDD I was able to use this utility or any of the utilities to use my wlan nic. Upon logging in to bt3 the system detects the two nic and asks if I'd like to configure them using WPA_Supplicant. Knowing that eth0 is my wirecard(SiS chipset)<-this has worked perfectly fine without any problems or config, I hit the cancel button to move on to it detecting my eth1 nic(wireless bcm43xx). I go into config it using broadcom and the error comes up, unable to configure eth1, problem could be due to misconfiguration, etc., this happens when I try to configure with any of the settings in the WPA_Supp. Using any of the other wireless utilities won't even detect known networks. I know the NIC is perfectly fine in sending/receiving packets as I am/have been using it while in WinXP build 2004.

My laptop build is an Acer 3001 WLCi with an AMD 2800+ Sempron, 512MB RAM, SiS onboard chipset, Broadcom Wireless chipset, 60GB HD.

Dual booted XP Pro, BT3Final, two ~30GB partitions, Lilo bootscreen, installed following MUTS video.

Not too fluent in linux however am on an extremely quick learning curve. If anyone could help me in pointing me in the right direction or a few tips this would be wonderful.

Thanks

Hey clndwhr,
    can u post your output from iwconfig / ifconfig plz.
    That will show us if your wlan cards are detected right.

Did you try to configure and connect manually?

<terminal86>

Just burned his ISO

I tried configuring manually and had no luck on 3 diffect APs, I'll post up my iwconfig/ifconfig in a few hours when I'm not busy.

*** Also prior to this post my Wireless NIC was recognized on eth0 it has been changed to be recognized on eth1. This was done before the iwconfig and ifconfig below. but results above still occur with it.

Just burned his ISO

iwconfig:
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

eth1 IEEE 802.11b/g ESSIDff/any Nickname: "Broadcom 4318"
    mode: managed Freq=2.472 GHz Access Point: Invalid
    Bit Rate=1 Mb/s Tx-Power=19dBm
    RTS thrff Fragment thr: off
    Encryption key: off
    Link Quality=0/100 Signal level=-.256dBm Noise level=-.256dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

ifconfig:

eth1 Link encap: Ethernet HWaddr 00:0E:9B:AB0:B2
    UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets: 0 errors:0 dropped: 0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:39 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:1638 (1.5KiB)
    Interrupt:4 Base address:0x8000

lo Link encap: Local Loopback
    inet addr: 127.0.0.1 Mask: 255.0.0.0
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    All RX and TX values = 0
    All RX and TX bytes = 0

don't know if u can read german, but here's a good step by step tutorial:
    http://www.ubuntufreunde.de/forum/96...iswrapper.html

Just burned his ISO

So, I'm actually in the process right now of pulling the wpa_supplicant -D etc.... command

It tries to associate with said Mac address SSID then proceeds to tiem out with 00:00:00:00:00:00 authentication...any ideas?

every so often ioctl[SIOCGIWSCAN]: Resource temporarily unavailable appears

Followed hxxp://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=1489&highlight=ndis+wrapper as a guide in getting this far.

Quote Originally Posted by clndwhr View Post
    So, I'm actually in the process right now of pulling the wpa_supplicant -D etc.... command

It tries to associate with said Mac address SSID then proceeds to tiem out with 00:00:00:00:00:00 authentication...any ideas?

every so often ioctl[SIOCGIWSCAN]: Resource temporarily unavailable appears

Followed hxxp://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=1489&highlight=ndis+wrapper as a guide in getting this far.
    Hm I'm confused that u have two eth1 interfaces.
    Some ideas:
    Disable your eth1 wired interface (ifconfig eht1 down) and try again.
    Do you have encryption enabled? - Try without.
    Make sure you are in range of your ap. (use airodump-ng eth1)

All i've read so far says the Broadcom drivers are not the easiest to deal with.
    Perhaps anyone else can help u out with this.

<terminal86>

Just burned his ISO

Well I'm not entirely sure how I did it but I've managed to get this working.

While running the wpa_supplicant command a second time I started to receive authenticated connections then a 4way handshake fail and then itd disconnect and redo this 3 times, on the fourth time it connected and seemed to go into a temp frozen state in which after 15 minutes itd drop the line

WPA: EAPOL-Key Replay Counter did not increase - Dropping packet
    did this 4 times in a clock cycle and then after taht itd drop the ioctl: Operation not supported

So after researchign this i came across another thread from BT2 abotu the WPA_Supplicant with -=XPloitz=- having a simlar issue and he was directed towards dling the latest release of the WPA_Supp builds, went to do this and while doing this for giggles I attempted to connect via the KWLAN utility and low and behold it connects and i have outside network connection, e.g. google, facebook, etc...

problem resolved thanks for the help Terminal86, it was much appreciated

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by terminal86 View Post
    Hm I'm confused that u have two eth1 interfaces.
    Some ideas:
    Disable your eth1 wired interface (ifconfig eht1 down) and try again.
    Do you have encryption enabled? - Try without.
    Make sure you are in range of your ap. (use airodump-ng eth1)
    I only have 1 eth1 NIC, not sure where you got two though, I went into my load settings in my BIOS and switched the boot order of my NICs to where my wireless was booting to eth1 and my wire was booting to eth0

encryption enabled, unsure at the time,

AP is 10ish feet from me without any bodily interference besides my own body.

Quote Originally Posted by terminal86 View Post
    All i've read so far says the Broadcom drivers are not the easiest to deal with.
    Perhaps anyone else can help u out with this.
    Indeed this is true, 4.5 hours on this problem plus another day of a WTH mind thought

Just burned his ISO

Default Help..

Could someone please help me with my issue which, I posted earlier but still no reply on it.

I am using HP laptop DV9605ea with broadcom chipset. Using Bactrack 3 usb version. To find out the actual chipset when I use lspci it shows 'BCM4312 (rev 02)' and in iwconfig it shows 'nickname BCM4311' (sorry for that, as unsure of it). My interface is eth1. iwlist scan always says 'No scan results'. When I try to connect through a terminal window and have to down the eth1 then I cannot make it up. If I try to run command 'ifconfig eth1 up' it says 'error no such device'.

I have searched alot in this forum for my issue but coudn't find a satisfactory answer. I also googled for the solution of my problem but all in vain.

1. I did find some soultion like to use bcm43xx fwcutter but same results again.
    2. I tried to use Ndiswrapper by following the instructions on the link (It won't allow me to put link)
    Ubuntu forms: Feisty_No-Fluff
    but got stuck here:
    sudo cp /etc/network/interfaces /etc/network/interfaces.orig
    echo -e 'auto lo\niface lo inet loopback\n' | sudo tee /etc/network/interfaces
    sudo ndiswrapper -m
    echo 'ndiswrapper' | sudo tee -a /etc/modules
    echo 'ENABLED=0' | sudo tee -a /etc/default/wpasupplicant
    3. The only instructions worked for me were at broadcom website itself.

But the problem with those instructions are after connecting to internet, using iwconfig command nickname of my eth1 chipset is gone it just shows blank in quotes " " and only the first letter of my essid. Further, I cannot configure kismet source line with these instructions as they asked to remove the bcmxx. I been trying to resolve this issue from last 4 days but still unable to figure it out.

Any help in this matter is highly appreciatable

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast