Thread: Is there a program that located ip addresses based on the network adapter's mac?

Default Is there a program that located ip addresses based on the network adapter's mac?

I'd like to see if this is possible and how it works. If there is a program, which I'm sure there is, I'm sure you'd have to include the netid to narrow down the search.

What exacty do you want to do?
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by drakoth777 View Post
    I'd like to see if this is possible and how it works. If there is a program, which I'm sure there is, I'm sure you'd have to include the netid to narrow down the search.
    From the internet? Not likely.. from a LAN, yes.
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

So what happens when a cyber crime is committed, and the criminal has left his mac address on one of the logs in the victim's computer? How do the authorities find the criminal, assuming he continues using the same network adapter.

So what happens when a cyber crime is committed, and the criminal has left his mac address on one of the logs in the victim's computer? How do the authorities find the criminal, assuming he continues using the same network adapter.
    Based on the MAC address? Most likely they don't.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

You don't get the MAC over the Internet, you get the MAC the last device that connected (e.g. the MAC on your router.) You might want to look at the OSI model, and how the layers talk to each other, and how TCP/IP works.
    Thorn

Let's say the criminal used a network adapter that also acts as a router (i.e. criminal doesn't have a router, but instead the network adapter he uses is on a computer that is hooked up to a cable modem. Therefore, the WAN IP would be the IP address of his network adapter. In that cases, his network adapter would be acting as a router no (i.e. participating in router hops)? Or would the cable modem be acting as the router?

Let's say the criminal used a network adapter that also acts as a router (i.e. criminal doesn't have a router, but instead the network adapter he uses is on a computer that is hooked up to a cable modem. Therefore, the WAN IP would be the IP address of his network adapter. In that cases, his network adapter would be acting as a router no (i.e. participating in router hops)? Or would the cable modem be acting as the router?
    But what would the difference be? There will still be multiple devices between him and the actual victim, which will prevent his MAC address from showing up at the final destination.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

The cable modem wouldn't technically be acting as a router per se, but as a bridge, joining dissimilar network types.* Either way the next MAC seen outside the LAN would be the cable modem's exterior MAC. The only way to see the true 1:1 correlation of MAC to IP is to look on a LAN. Once you have the packets routed or translated via bridge, you only see the MAC of the next device in the route.

*When you get right down to it "cable modem" is a huge misnomer. Technically, these devices are bridges, and not modems. They bridge dissimilar networks, and they don't modulate or demodulate an audio signal.
    Thorn