Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cantenna Pics

Default Cantenna Pics

This is my some what successful attempt to make a home made Cantenna. Results are good, don't know how to use that fancy equipment...lol.

Materials and Cost=
    Can -o- Beans (Bush Baked Beans) Price -Free
    Tripod- $1.00 (Dollar Store)
    Wireless Adapter -$39.99 (Wal-Mart)

Tell me what you think... I will be making some better ones soon.
    Also didn't know if there was a thread on here with pics and i figured that being in the Wireless section fit the description
    Add the http junk

s531.photobucket.com/albums/dd354/dkoi007/

Did you have to take a class on taking crappy pictures, or does that come naturally? Is there no focus on your camera?

Without decent pics, you're going to have to give some dimensions.

Also, there are better cans. There are some baby formula cans that are about 3.5" in diameter and are about 9" long. These will about double your gain. People have stated that they have built cantennas using large diameter cans (1 gallon size) and have had excellent results. However, if you look at the pattern for these larger models, the main lobe is drastically skewed off-axis.

Quote Originally Posted by SLK001 View Post
    Did you have to take a class on taking crappy pictures, or does that come naturally? Is there no focus on your camera?

Without decent pics, you're going to have to give some dimensions.

Also, there are better cans. There are some baby formula cans that are about 3.5" in diameter and are about 9" long. These will about double your gain. People have stated that they have built cantennas using large diameter cans (1 gallon size) and have had excellent results. However, if you look at the pattern for these larger models, the main lobe is drastically skewed off-axis.
    Sorry about the pictures. They were taken with my cellphone.

Length of can is 6 3/4
    Width is 3 3/8
    The length from the back of the can to the Adapter is 2 1/2

The Specs for the adapter are...
    Model-WUSB54GSC
    Standards-IEEE 802.11g,802.11b, usb1.1 & 2.0
    Dimensions-3.86" x 0.43" x 1.10"
    yeah still have the box

I forget where i seen the Calculator that tells you to make the hole from the back of the can.

Hope this helps a bit more till i get better batteries for my camera.

That was really unnecessary. The rest of your post was perfectly fine and helpful, I suppose, but the part I quoted does not belong here, period.

If you want to help, help. If you want to bring meaningless critisism into someone's thread which bears no relevance to the question(s) asked, don't.

If it sounds like I'm being an (_!_)......I am. I've been dealing with junk like this all day and this is the last place I wanted to see it....

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Don't you think that's just a little rude?

The guy's taken the time to upload some pictures here for us (regardless of the quality, I found them interesting) and all you can do is bitch about it?

How about some constructive criticism next time rather than just attacking...

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowKill View Post
    The rest of your post was perfectly fine and helpful.....[SNIP].....I've been dealing with junk like this all day and this is the last place I wanted to see it....
    Exactly.

<damn12chars>

Quote Originally Posted by Dkoi-1 View Post
    This is my some what successful attempt to make a home made Cantenna. Results are good, don't know how to use that fancy equipment...lol.

Materials and Cost=
    Can -o- Beans (Bush Baked Beans) Price -Free
    Tripod- $1.00 (Dollar Store)
    Wireless Adapter -$39.99 (Wal-Mart)

Tell me what you think... I will be making some better ones soon.
    Also didn't know if there was a thread on here with pics and i figured that being in the Wireless section fit the description
    Add the http junk

s531.photobucket.com/albums/dd354/dkoi007/
    Nice antenna! i will post someday my specs here if i'm not lazy.

There are some baby formula cans that are about 3.5" in diameter and are about 9" long. These will about double your gain.
    So pringles like tubes makes best antennas? maybe aluminium foil covered PVC-pipe could make great antenna? must study more of this..
    Finnish apprentice i am!

Quote Originally Posted by kolehti View Post
    Nice antenna! i will post someday my specs here if i'm not lazy.

So pringles like tubes makes best antennas? maybe aluminium foil covered PVC-pipe could make great antenna? must study more of this..
    I hear that the pringles cans are better, but i am gonna upgrade to a dish and make one the right way. I wont use the wireless adapter, i need that for my desktop. I did print out the wind surfer and modified that to use the adapter but the gains are crap. In the end i will come up with some ideas and test them as soon as i learn more.

Thanks for the posts earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowKill View Post
    If it sounds like I'm being an (_!_)......I am. I've been dealing with junk like this all day and this is the last place I wanted to see it....
    Sorry to offend your delicate sensibility. If dealing with junk like this all day is really starting to bother you, maybe you should find yourself a different job - I believe that your town's library is looking for a book reshelver.

Quote Originally Posted by loftrat View Post
    Don't you think that's just a little rude?

The guy's taken the time to upload some pictures here for us (regardless of the quality, I found them interesting) and all you can do is bitch about it?

How about some constructive criticism next time rather than just attacking...
    You may have found them interesting, but the OP came for advice/opinions on his efforts - then posted pics with no focus and no detail, thus making any response from anyone who knows a thing about antennas impossible.

How can you offer constructive criticism to details not shown? If you take the time to actually read my response, you would have read
    1) what he needed to do to improve his post, and
    2) advice as to what he could do to improve his cantenna (even without being able to see any details).

I really feel sorry for the mental anguish that I put you two nancys through. Perhaps this forum is too harsh for your sensibilities and you need to move elsewhere. I hear that the knitting forum is a very calm and tranquil place to surf - maybe you two should check it out.

Exactly the response I expected, glad to see that you didn't dissapoint.

Yours is an attitude all too prevalent in this sort of community, and exactly the reason that so many people don't even try to contribute - because there's always some ass with a chip on their shoulder ready to have a pop at even the slightest detail.

Reply if you care to, I won't be reading it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast