Thread: connecting to a wireless network

Just burned his ISO

Default connecting to a wireless network

Hey there, I am trying to connect to my wireless network at home. The wireless assistant says it can not find a wireless network, although, if i run kismet it finds my wireless network and associated Essid and many others, some of which are unsecure. I am simply trying to connect to my wireless internet. I am using a HP dv5000 laptop.

Just burned his ISO

I have now did more research and found out that using teh wireless app gui interface, I am able to connect to non-secured wireless networks. I have tried the following commands to enable connectivity with my WPA-PSK AP.

ifconfig wlan0 down
    iwconfig wlan0 essid Green key "s: passphrase"
    ifconfig wlan0 up

ifconfig wlan0 down
    iwconfig wlan0 essid Green key passphrase
    ifconfig wlan0 up
    dhcpcd wlan0

I can seem to connect using a GUI interface to a non secured network. However, when I try to input or connecrt to a WPA-PSK network via the command prompt or the GUI, I seem to hang up. Any suggestions? An app tells me that I can see roughly six wireless networks, some secured and some not. I am operating on the standard channel 6.

(no space btwn s: p )

//Create a text based file called wpa_supplicant.conf

Enter the following:

network={
    essid="nameofnetwork"
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    proto=WPA
    pairwise=TKIP
    group=TKIP
    psk="WPApassphrase"
    }

Where nameofnetwork is your essid and psk is your WPA pre-shared key!

Then run the wpa_supplicant tool.

wpa_supplicant -D madwifi -i ath0 -c wpa_supplicant.conf

This will need altering depending on what chipset and drivers you are using. The above should work for an Atheros card.

Saying all of the above about WPA configurations, I have had many problems with it on BackTrack. If someone else has other suggestions, please post here. Also, please post setup commands for other types of wireless cards.
    //
    wpa-supplicant tool u can find in backtrack? Alright. However, isn't madwifi a driver for a particular wireless card? I don't seem to have a problem connecting to unsecured wireless networks, so I;m not sure if driver issues is really the issue. Help would be appreciated thx

hey teh,
    did u have a look to -=Xploitz=- nice tutorial?
    hxxp:// forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7482&highlight=wpa+supplicant
    In your Quote u post another tut that already answers your question to the drivers:
    This will need altering depending on what chipset and drivers you are using.
    Hope you get it done.

<terminal86>

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the reply. I had much success until I tried to start the dhcp wlan0.
    says something about my dhcp not being configured right. even tho i did that dhcpcd wlan0.
    hmm, tx for the reference, im sure ill figure it out. Any other insight is good!
    tx

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by terminal86 View Post
    hey teh,
    did u have a look to -=Xploitz=- nice tutorial?

In your Quote u post another tut that already answers your question to the drivers:

Hope you get it done.

<terminal86>
    Thx for that. I have an issue with that though. When I try to set up a dhcp it says that its invalid etc. I can't seem to modify it, when its asking for a subnet mask.. im using the standard 10.0.0.1 gateway, i read something about that.
    Any issues other ppl have had with that too? The rest of the guide worked perfect, just that last step.

Just burned his ISO

Anyone have a solution to this issue?

take a look at your /etc/dhcpd.conf file

Just burned his ISO

Also have this same problem. As do other people it seems (showthread.php?t=16605).

I tried running wpa_supplicant -D madwifi -i ra0 -c wpa_supplicant.conf
    To which I was greated with "Unsupported driver 'madwifi'"
    Which doesn't look good o_0