Thread: Renaming the root account

Question Renaming the root account

Hey guys, how are things?
    I was wondering if it's alright to rename the root account under BT3Final, just for security purposes?
    Has anyone done that?
    Thanks!

How is that going to help security? The account will still have root access.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Post Re:

I have SSH opened to the net for remote login and I want to change the name of root to something else.
    It's kind of like changing the name of admin user under Windows.
    I am sure you get the "why?" .
    Can it be done or not? I tried searching for the answer somewhere else first, but wasn't sure of the answers. I wanted to also ask you guys,for a more reliable source of advice!
    Thanks!

AFAIK you can't. I could be wrong though. I don't allow root ssh access, too many ssh brute forcers out there.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

can't u just use rsa/dsa token authentication instead? wouldn't that stave off ssh brute forcers? or no?

Post Re:

Alright!
    I will try a different remote login option! How about an account lockout after 2-3 wrong attempts? That could really slow someone down!
    I will google it, where it will lock someone out for 1 hour or 2 after so many wrong attempts! If someone knows the command for those settings, please feel free and post it. It would spare me some time, if not, no worries, I will check my Linux books out!
    Thanks Barry for the time!

I don't think you can rename root, however you could disable remote logins via root for ssh and setup another super user account that can ssh in.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Hi there,

just found a nice paper which i want to share to you.
    I know its not up to date, but if you want to take a look:

h x x p://w w w.puschitz.com/SecuringLinux.shtml#LockingUserAccountsAfterTooMan yLoginFailures

<terminal86>

Thumbs up Re:

Terminal86, I really appreciate you in taking the time to post this link!
    Super! Just what I needed!
    Thanks!

I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.