Thread: can login

Just burned his ISO

Default can login

i just installed backtrack 4 and i wont let me login. i type root in for the username hit enter then why i try to type in the password my keyboard stops working.

Default Re: can login

It doesn't. It's just not showing what you type (I trust that you can find out for yourself what the default password is).
    SecurityTube has two new sections. Questions & News

Just burned his ISO

ya i know i still typed in toor that didn't work. Then I tried resetting, when i did that it said my password has been updated then I tried to login with my password i made it still says login incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by rotleader View Post
    ya i know i still typed in toor that didn't work. Then I tried resetting, when i did that it said my password has been updated then I tried to login with my password i made it still says login incorrect.
    If you were able to change your password, you were able to log in.

Using your favourite search engine, you will easily find instructions on how to reset the root password if you have forgotten it.

hmm... "your password has been updated", maybe this would help if the default password isn't working. http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...out-login.html

Go ahead and let us know if it worked.
    Common Knowledge: Username, "root". Password, "toor". "startx" gives you a GUI, and "fix-vesa" will fix BT if you have no GUI. Start networking with "/etc/init.d/networking start" and check your IP settings with "ifconfig -a". "dhclient" will automatically use DHCP for your IP. Google is your friend.

from OP @ 10:43 (forum time) via PM:

Help me?
    It seems like you know what your doing and im a bit of a noob at this. But i followed your tut on changing the pass. It says it was updated but i still cant login in you have any idea why?
    my reply PM @ 01:16 AM (forum time):

you followed the tutorial on changing the root password without logging in?

if that's the case, then you're going to have to do the whole process over again and change it to something you know, or make sure you have no typos (both times) when entering the new pass.

that is, if you can't log in as root. if you are able to log in as root, then you can issue the passwd command to change your pass.

a third option, if you've created a privileged user, you can use that user to change the root password: sudo passwd root

lemme know whatcha get outta this.
    nothing back yet...
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

Quote Originally Posted by rotleader View Post
    i just installed backtrack 4 and i wont let me login.
    Of course we always could ask the other usual suspects as well. like:
    Did you check your MD5 sum?
    Have you tried re-installing? (seeing as how you just installed it you most likely haven't changed anything about the OS, so a clean install shouldn't disrupt you much.)
    When you say "installed" do you mean that you are running it off a disk, or did you run the install.sh to download it to a hard drive? (I just want to make sure I know the whole story)

Hopefully Spiidey's PM helped you and we wont have to go further, but if it didn't try asking yourself these questions
    Last edited by micole; 02-17-2010 at 07:46 AM. Reason: farther vs. further
    Common Knowledge: Username, "root". Password, "toor". "startx" gives you a GUI, and "fix-vesa" will fix BT if you have no GUI. Start networking with "/etc/init.d/networking start" and check your IP settings with "ifconfig -a". "dhclient" will automatically use DHCP for your IP. Google is your friend.