Thread: Wireless Assistant Blind

Default Wireless Assistant Blind

This is going to sound retarded, but why does my wireless assistant sometimes get servers and sometimes not. kismet will see the servers, airmon-ng wlan0 AND when i switch the driver from iwl3945 to ipwraw then wifi0 will see the server (i understand that the ipwraw driver is an injection driver not one to connect) i've been able to inject, and even arp poison. but i'm just wondering why wireless assistant sometimes gets the servers and alot of times doesn't. any help and points in the right direction would be awesome so i can connect with one labtop and practice bt3 with the other.

intel pro 3945 wireless card

It's simple, kismet and airodump-ng for that matter are sniffing the air for a prolonged period of time so have many chances to capture the beacon. Wireless assistant is only sniffing the air for a few moments at a time, when you tell it to refresh. If the AP has not sent a beacon within that short period of time then it will not show up.
    By the way, wireless assistant sucks, stop using it.
    The card has nothing to do with it in this case.

Just burned his ISO

Default mh

when you use tools like kismet or airodump-ng they will set the wlan driver to monitormode. In this mode W-assi wont be able to scan the networks. You need to manually set back to managed mode (use iwconfig / airmon)
    hope it helps,
    sefi

Quote Originally Posted by balding_parrot View Post
    It's simple, kismet and airodump-ng for that matter are sniffing the air for a prolonged period of time so have many chances to capture the beacon. Wireless assistant is only sniffing the air for a few moments at a time, when you tell it to refresh. If the AP has not sent a beacon within that short period of time then it will not show up.
    By the way, wireless assistant sucks, stop using it.
    The card has nothing to do with it in this case.
    first, thanks for the replys!
    From what i've learned in the past tho, in order to use ettercap i have to be connected to the ap in order to push ctrl-s to scan. Am i wrong about that? Doesn't the card have to be associated with an ap before sniffing?
    (you said wireless assistant sucks, what do you use to connect to an ap?)

Quote Originally Posted by 1shot_1kill View Post
    From what i've learned in the past tho, in order to use ettercap i have to be connected to the ap in order to push ctrl-s to scan. Am i wrong about that? Doesn't the card have to be associated with an ap before sniffing?
    Command line, the way linux was supposed to be used.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by 1shot_1kill View Post
    This is correct, your card needs to be in managed mode and properly connected in order for ettercap to work. Use the command line to connect instead, it is much more reliable and not hard by any means. The appropriate commands can easily be found using the search function as they have been posted numerous times already.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    This is correct, your card needs to be in managed mode and properly connected in order for ettercap to work. Use the command line to connect instead, it is much more reliable and not hard by any means. The appropriate commands can easily be found using the search function as they have been posted numerous times already.
    ok i did the search and here's what i came up with. soon as i get home i'll try it out. so i guess after starting this post i might as well stick the answer at the end

Connecting to an OPEN / WEP WLAN (DHCP)

Note: replace [interface] with your interface name as required (e.g. eth1, wlan0, ath0 etc.)

iwconfig [interface] mode managed key [WEP key] (128 bit WEP use 26 hex characters, 64 bit WEP uses 10)

iwconfig essid "[ESSID]" (Specify ESSID for the WLAN)

dhclient [interface] (to receive an IP address, netmask, DNS server and default gateway from the Access Point)

tried this and doesn't work, going to further explore.