Thread: AR5007 questions

Just burned his ISO

Default AR5007 questions

Hi there,

I've got an HP vd9700z laptop running Vista 64 with the infamous Atheros AR5007 chipset.

To add insult to injury, I'm running Backtrack via VMWare player (works great for 802.3). Naturally, it isn't seeing the 802.11 adapter. Doesn't show up in ifconfig, and I can't even find any record of it being recognized or erroring out in dmesg.

I've gone through the athk5 and 9 drivers as well as the madwifi-ng, and nothing seems to work. I'm going to create a bootable thumb drive to see if the VM is causing any problems, however I doubt it.

I'd really like to get the Atheros working if possible, because this chipset is the best out there for injection. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've searched several forums and I keep coming back to the same ideas regarding the drivers I've already tried installing. Does anyone else have any experience trying this and actually getting it to run? I don't have the UG or EG versions of the Atheros, and I admit I didn't do my homework as to how different they are. (But I'm going to tackle the solutions for those models as well when I get the chance.)

Any guidance or experience would be great.

Assuming no one has a fix for this, has anyone tried the LinkSYS WUSB600N? It's not on the list, but it's supposedly the "better" version of the WUSB54G V4 and WUSB54GC (neither of which support Vista 64).

I'm also curious about the Airlink AWLL3028 (the 3026 is simply impossible to find).

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I've gone through the athk5 and 9 drivers as well as the madwifi-ng, and nothing seems to work. I'm going to create a bootable thumb drive to see if the VM is causing any problems, however I doubt it.
    This has been covered a thousand times on the forum already, but once more for reference: VMware, or any virtualization software for that part, will ONLY recognize USB connectable wireless devices.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

Default My mistake

Sorry about that.

I was searching for issues with the AR5007. I wasn't aware of the VMware component being an issue. My wireless actually shows up under the list of "Devices" in the VMPlayer list, so I assumed it should carry through. I never bothered to search for it as a result.

I set up a thumb drive/USB Stick and a bootable CD and both are working well, although naturally booting from the CD sounds like my laptop is barfing.