Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote Install

Thumbs up Remote Install

Im looking to be able to i guess not really install but more or less copy a zip file from my flash drive (connected to my desktop running bt3) to my laptop in a different room of the house on my network (running XP). Im doing this as part of a project for school on network security. I do know i could just pull the flash drive out and put it on the laptop. Im going for the ability to copy files like virus or auto key loggers onto a computer over the network with out having to sit at the target machine. Any help would be great thank you.

How to do this is certainly possible, but it will depend on the network protocols and topography.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Its just a basic home network. I have a linksys router running nothing special, other then a file server that i use for a dedicated server for games and also runs snort. The machine that i want to run the attack on is not that server. The server is not in the mix at all other then maybe just to detect intrustion into the network.

Then probably the easist thing to do is make sure RDP is enabled on the XP machine, and use rdesktop from the BT3 machine. You can remote into the XP machine and copy or even install any file. If you're doing this for school, it makes a nice little demo for those who have never seen it before. This is also one of the 'scariest things' you can show in a demo, as many users don't know that RDP is built into XP, and don't know that their machines can be taken over and run remotely.
    Thorn

That is one thing that I can do yes but RDP is not by default turned on. What Im really looking to do is to show people that this computer im "hacking" into is just like there computer at home. I dont want to go in and say okay now i set this up so I could get into it. That to me is just kind of cheating. Im already doing a bit of cheating by knowing that the WPA key is a basic word. I want to make it so that I really do have to crack into the computer and remote into it with out the person sitting at it to know its going on. The more non noticable the attack is the more impressive my project looks and the better grade I end up with lol. Is there away to remote into or atleast port into that computer with out the RDP being turned on prior to.

Sure. Lots of things, but they depend on the protocols and the services on the XP machine. For instance, if you have files and shares enabled (which a lot of people do), you can start SMB on the BT3 machine and transfer the files that way. You can't do a remote install, but the transfer is dead simple.

Look what services are enabled on the XP machine, and then look for exploits for those services.
    Thorn

Would you mind giving me a quick run down of the SMB to transfer files. If I can transfer a few files that would be great. Thanks alot for your help and I will look more into the exploiting services.

Quote Originally Posted by kdiggity317 View Post
    Would you mind giving me a quick run down of the SMB to transfer files. If I can transfer a few files that would be great. Thanks alot for your help and I will look more into the exploiting services.
    Quick rundown:
    1. Edit the /etc/smb.conf file to conform to the network settings.
    2. At a minimum, start the smbd daemon on the BT3 machine. You may also need to start the nmbd and winbindd deamons, depending on the network.
    3. Run the smbclient. This is the program that actually lets you connect to the XP machine and transfer files.

That's a gross simplification, but it should get you started. With a bit of luck, you should have it functional by the end of the day.

www.samba.org has everything you could possible want to know about SMB and using it in mixed a Windows/Linux network environment.
    Thorn

Gross or not its more then what i had before so I have to say thank you. I will give it a shot when I get back to the network and hopfully it works. I started this project thinking it would be simple and easy here I am 5 weeks later going wow computers are the most unsafe things in the world, and alot of the people that take the time to learn this have way to much time on there hands. Mainly hacker types network security ITs I would understand but to figure this out all just for fun who has that kind of time. lol

You're welcome. Good luck with the school work.
    Thorn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast