Thread: HOw to upgrade to the latest kernel

Default HOw to upgrade to the latest kernel

I could be wrong, but I'm using the 2.6.30 kernel. How can I update to the 2.6.32? Or is that not out yet?
    I've searched around, and i know the old fourms had this question, but I can't seem to be able to load the page.
    (I also searched here as well)
    any ideas?

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: HOw to upgrade to the latest kernel

Quote Originally Posted by Nazagul View Post
    I've searched around...
    any ideas?
    Are you sure?

Good friend of the forums

I could be wrong, but I'm using the 2.6.30 kernel. How can I update to the 2.6.32? Or is that not out yet?
    I've searched around, and i know the old fourms had this question, but I can't seem to be able to load the page.
    any ideas?
    Short version. Don't try as you will break your backtrack install

Long version.
    You can download the kernel source from kernel.org and compile the kernel yourself. However this will probably break a few things in backtrack (i.e. packet injection) as the 2.6.30.9 kernel in BT4 Final is a heavily patched kernel. The BT developers have spent a lot of time making this kernel work. If you are very brave and you know exactly what you are doing you could probably boot 2.6.32 on your computer. However that kernel would be specific to that computer and not work on mine. The BT developers have to keep things generic so BT will work on as much hardware as possible. You will also probably lose packet injection and GPU accelerated cracking capabilities. I don't know what else would break but probably much more. Again don't try it unless you are willing to reinstall backtrack.
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss

Quote Originally Posted by bofh28 View Post
    If you are very brave and you know exactly what you are doing you could probably boot 2.6.32 on your computer.
    i think that if the op knew what they were doing, they wouldn't have started this thread!

@op building a stable, reliable and useful kernel is very, very time consuming, frustrating and requires a (imho) minimum semi-advanced skill level of expertise with linux.

i would recommend against using backtrack as a daily operating system if bleeding edge is what you want in an os. ubuntu is released once every six months, and the repos are packed with software.

perhaps muts has a comment on kernel compiles?
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

What about recompiling the current kernel? I've been told that compiling your kernel specifically for your processor will result in a performance gain, which interests me. I'm competent enough to sit down with any of the many tutorials on the subject and get it done, but would the performance increase be that noticeable?

For the record, my laptop is OLD. Old as in Pentium 4 @ 2.00gHz, 216mb RAM old. It sometimes explodes if you ask it to do anything other than sit there and idle really hot (which it is remarkably good at).
    Last edited by clutch; 02-18-2010 at 06:23 AM. Reason: typo

Developer

As has already been stated, we use the newest kernel possible which allows for all the patches, modules and other hacks to work in the harmony that is know as backtrack 4 final. The kernel can be recompiled but you have to ask your self, Do i really need a newer kernel or do I just want it so I can sound up to date?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xX_Spiidey_Xx View Post
    i think that if the op knew what they were doing, they wouldn't have started this thread!
    I would suggest based on your statement that the OP is not quite ready for building or recompiling a kernel. To wit:
    The OP does not know the current version of his kernel. Not good for the home team.
    OP to find your kernel version and various bits of info try the following
    # uname see also the man page.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel.Amael View Post
    I would suggest based on your statement that the OP is not quite ready for building or recompiling a kernel. To wit:

The OP does not know the current version of his kernel. Not good for the home team.
    OP to find your kernel version and various bits of info try the following
    # uname see also the man page.
    True, as the current stable kernel is 2.6.32.8

In my own experience with compiling the latest greatest kernel, unless you have experience, I would HIGHLY advise against doing it as it's not like compiling a new tool.

There are a lot of commands and options involved, especially when you get to make menuconfig. It is extremely time consuming (4 hours on my P3 512mb, less than an hour on the Dual Core) and really, the kernel that comes with BT4 is the most optimal as has been stated by pureh@te and muts.

The only reason for doing it was for a performance increase on my older machine and for 3d (think GPU accelerated attack) ati support as I'm stuck in the vicious ati world, along with some other goodies.

In a nutshell, yes it can break your system if you don't know what you are doing and it can also have added benefits if you do know what you are doing. There is a ton of info on the net on compiling the kernel if you do so choose and would leave it at that instead of asking in the forums as it has been stated over and over that you will encounter headache in the long run.
    I may have been born with a silver spoon in my mouth but it does not mean I like to be spoon fed.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch View Post
    What about recompiling the current kernel? I've been told that compiling your kernel specifically for your processor will result in a performance gain, which interests me. I'm competent enough to sit down with any of the many tutorials on the subject and get it done, but would the performance increase be that noticeable?

For the record, my laptop is OLD. Old as in Pentium 4 @ 2.00gHz, 216mb RAM old. It sometimes explodes if you ask it to do anything other than sit there and idle really hot (which it is remarkably good at).
    You'd not notice a difference. Back in the day, when 486 processors were the high end, this would have been true. With todays processors you're talking maybe only a second's worth of speedup. Not worth the headache.