Thread: I need help with wireless network hacking using Backtrack2/aircrack. Im very new.....

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy I need help with wireless network hacking using Backtrack2/aircrack. Im very new.....

ive got the programs and ive seen it being done by a friend so i know its possible, im just not very clued up on wot commands i use to manipulate how to collect network data, packets and use them for obtaining encryption keys.
    Furthermore, ive got a laptop with a wireless card (Atheros AR5007 and Realtek RTL8139/810x) A wireless activation button above my keyboard (on the top left hand side) activates the wireless card in windows (if it doesnt come on automatically) and turns the colour blue when active. when i boot up backtrack at the start, the wireless button doesnt turn blue so ive tried pressin it and it doesnt come on and so, ath0/wifi0 doesnt appear for monitor mode when backtrack kicks in. Does any1 have any idea how to get my wireless card to activate at least so i can then progress to working the programs wireless utilities. (i never had this problem with my last laptop, it was an automatic wireless activation and so my mate cracked the WEP ecryption key with aircrack on it)

My current laptop is a HP Pavillion if that helps...Anyone?

Thank you so much if any1 can figure this out

Quote Originally Posted by Ash-lee View Post
    ive got the programs and ive seen it being done by a friend so i know its possible, im just not very clued up on wot commands i use to manipulate how to collect network data, packets and use them for obtaining encryption keys.
    Furthermore, ive got a laptop with a wireless card (Atheros AR5007 and Realtek RTL8139/810x) A wireless activation button above my keyboard (on the top left hand side) activates the wireless card in windows (if it doesnt come on automatically) and turns the colour blue when active. when i boot up backtrack at the start, the wireless button doesnt turn blue so ive tried pressin it and it doesnt come on and so, ath0/wifi0 doesnt appear for monitor mode when backtrack kicks in. Does any1 have any idea how to get my wireless card to activate at least so i can then progress to working the programs wireless utilities. (i never had this problem with my last laptop, it was an automatic wireless activation and so my mate cracked the WEP ecryption key with aircrack on it)

My current laptop is a HP Pavillion if that helps...Anyone?

Thank you so much if any1 can figure this out
    Why are you using Back|Track 2 and what network, exactly, are you trying to hack?

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Just burned his ISO

its a WEP encryption and Backtrack 2 because i thought it was a potentially good programme. I know there is plenty of mention of the newer Backtrack 3 on here. Is it better? and if so, in what way?

thank you for your reply

Ash-lee

Just burned his ISO

just to update. im finally fine. I burned my BT3 iso, got the appropriate driver working and found out my router is actually a 'WPA' encryption and not a WEP encryption. My friend cracked his own routers WEP key and thats why i thought mine was called a 'WEP encryption'(i didnt know there were different types of encryption). After reading, and reading...and reading im a lot more clued up thanks to these great forums! Im trying to see if i can play hacker on my router. Is it that easy for someone to crack my password and is there any tips on choosing a password that someone wont figure out? When i pick my password id also like to see if it can be broken or not

Quote Originally Posted by Ash-lee View Post
    just to update. im finally fine. I burned my BT3 iso, got the appropriate driver working and found out my router is actually a 'WPA' encryption and not a WEP encryption. My friend cracked his own routers WEP key and thats why i thought mine was called a 'WEP encryption'(i didnt know there were different types of encryption). After reading, and reading...and reading im a lot more clued up thanks to these great forums! Im trying to see if i can play hacker on my router. Is it that easy for someone to crack my password and is there any tips on choosing a password that someone wont figure out? When i pick my password id also like to see if it can be broken or not
    Seems like you have done some progress since your last post. As you have probably noticed during your research WPA encryption is vastly more secure than WEP and the only way to crack it would be to guess the exact passphrase using a dictionary or bruteforce based approach. WEP encryption on the other hand suffers from an inherent weakness making it possible to calculate the correct key once you have enough data.

As the weakest point of your WPA encryption is the passphrase you choose it is important to use a long combination of all allowed characters and to include both upper- and lower case letters as the password is case sensitive.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.