Thread: USB Keyboard Won't Work After Boot

Just burned his ISO

Default USB Keyboard Won't Work After Boot

Hi, first post here.

Basically, my problem is that the keyboard stops working after the boot menu. I have a USB Keyboard and the only error I get is "usb device not accepting address". I've tried adding "acpi=off" to the end of the kernel line and adding "bt acpi=off" in grub to no avail. I've also tried changing around the USB Keyboard Legacy support settings in BIOS. After the BT boot menu, the keyboard light turns off as it loads. The system then boots completely to "Root@bt:~#", but I can't type anything. I've tried Ubuntu as well and it has the same problem. Is there any solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance

Default Re: USB Keyboard Won't Work After Boot

Does the keyboard work under any operating system on your computer? Could be a busted keyboard or faulty USB controller.
    Can you, for example, enter the BIOS at boot time and navigate successfully using the keyboard?

Keyboards are fairly simple devices - if it doesn't seem to work under Backtrack4, it's probably the keyboard/USB controller that has the issue. Just in case I'm wrong, what keyboard model is it?

Just burned his ISO

Well I've been searching around for a while, the problem is I can't actually type in the commands to begin with because there is no keyboard input. Unplugging and replugging didn't solve my problem either.

Quote Originally Posted by Encrypted_Soldier View Post
    this won't help the OP; it requires them to type a command on the commandline, which clearly he/she cannot do.

@OP: check this page for a three scenario tutorial including bios screens. if you still have issues afterward, please be sure to try another usb keyboard, as the one you are presently using may not be supported.
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

Just burned his ISO

Does the keyboard work under any operating system on your computer? Could be a busted keyboard or faulty USB controller.
    Can you, for example, enter the BIOS at boot time and navigate successfully using the keyboard?

Keyboards are fairly simple devices - if it doesn't seem to work under Backtrack4, it's probably the keyboard/USB controller that has the issue. Just in case I'm wrong, what keyboard model is it?
    Yes the keyboard works with Vista, my main OS. It also works with BIOS and the BackTrack boot menu. It just stops working after I press enter. The light on the keyboard flashes for a bit and then turns off.

@OP: check this page for a three scenario tutorial including bios screens. if you still have issues afterward, please be sure to try another usb keyboard, as the one you are presently using may not be supported.
    I've messed around with the USB legacy support settings in BIOS to no avail. I would fall under "Situation 3." since it works in the bootloader and in BIOS. Unfortunately, I don't have a PS/2 keyboard (or mouse) lying around anywhere. I tried another USB keyboard and it didn't work still. Same thing. Works under BIOS and bootloader but not afterward. I also tried booting BackTrack off of a USB. It booted but still the keyboard wouldn't work. Something I forgot to mention was that in Ubuntu the mouse wouldn't work either.

Just burned his ISO

@jdc:

I had the same problem, fixed it by deactivating USB 2.0 Support in BIOS... works fine