Thread: Which BackTrack version

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy Which BackTrack version

Hi,

is anybody out there who can tell me which version of BackTrack I should download for Windows XP without installing it, running it directly from CD or DVD?

Default Re: Which BackTrack version

What BackTrack version you should download for Windows XP? I don't think you understand what BackTrack is, its a Linux based Operating System, not Windows based software.

You cant "run" BackTrack from Windows. The closest you can get to this is running it under a virtual machine hosted under Windows. Now if thats what you want to do you can download the VmWare image of BackTrack 4 OR the DVD ISO and run that in VmWare.

If you want to run BackTrack as the Operating System on your computer you can download the DVD ISO, burn it to disk and then either boot it as a Live environment (Windows XP stays intact and can be used again at next reboot - DONT CLICK ON THAT INSTALL.SH ON THE DESKTOP!), or you can install it on the hard drive and use it instead or or alongside your Windows XP installation (in this case you can click on the install.sh on the desktop, but read the Installation HowTos first).

Hope that clears things up for you.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Yes, either this link;

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/download.php?fname=bt4f

Or for the torrent, this one:

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/bt4-final.iso.torrent

The MD5 sum is: af139d2a085978618dc53cabc67b9269

Basically, the .iso file is to be run as a LiveCD or on a usb install.

There is a vm image if you want to run it under a vm player or workstation on XP here:

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/downl...p?fname=bt4fvm

And a torrent here:

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/bt4-final-vm.zip.torrent

MD5 Sum is: 733b47fad1d56d31bc63c16b3706a11c

EDIT:
    Sorry Lupin, didn't see that you posted that for the op earlier.
    Last edited by skinnypuppy; 02-17-2010 at 04:06 AM.
    I may have been born with a silver spoon in my mouth but it does not mean I like to be spoon fed.

It really doesn't matter what OS is installed on your PC. Get the latest image (BackTrack4 Final i guess ) burn it on DVD, restart PC, boot from that DVD.
    This here Live CD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia helps you to understand what you're asking for.

as for running backtrack under windoze in a virtual machine, there are several virtualization softwares available. i don't know how well it works under micro$oft virtual pc (windoze 7 link), but the most likely ones you'll be able to run flawlessly on are vmware player, vmware workstation and VirtualBox.

i presently use virtualbox. it's free and works very well, and is supported across platforms, from windows, mac osx (what i use) and linux.

the downloadable vmware image is for use with vmware player. it's my recommendation that if you want to learn how to use backtrack, to go and download the dvd iso, and install it in a virtual machine, or on a second partition in a dual-boot configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    What BackTrack version you should download for Windows XP? I don't think you understand what BackTrack is, its a Linux based Operating System, not Windows based software.
    and following this, i just wanted to inform you that there is no 'h4x0r it n0wz' button with this distro, in case you were looking for it. maybe in backtrack 5.
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

Quote Originally Posted by xX_Spiidey_Xx View Post
    and following this, i just wanted to inform you that there is no 'h4x0r it n0wz' button with this distro, in case you were looking for it. maybe in backtrack 5.
    That would be one big button... It would require a lot of coding to automate that... Hmm. I want it now that you said it :P

Now we just need to figure out what things I would incorporate in the 'Sup3r h4X0r bu770n'
    Common Knowledge: Username, "root". Password, "toor". "startx" gives you a GUI, and "fix-vesa" will fix BT if you have no GUI. Start networking with "/etc/init.d/networking start" and check your IP settings with "ifconfig -a". "dhclient" will automatically use DHCP for your IP. Google is your friend.

Just burned his ISO

Hi everybody,

thanks to all of you for your effort and quick reply. Apparently there's much more to it than I ever thougth and I will have to read a lot more to understand the matter of wi-fi.

giovanni64