Thread: Kismet does not recieve signal from GPS

Just burned his ISO

Default Kismet does not recieve signal from GPS

Greetings!
    I was a happy browser of your forums and generally have found very comprehensive and professional information on any issue that I had with BackTrack 2 up until now and so I have decided to register because I have encountered a problem that is pretty specific to my setup. And I have googled a LOT and have not found a single thread that was related to my problem.
    Specifically I have a GPS device Haicom Hi-204 III which I have problems with being recognized by kismet. I am using BackTrack 2. First of all I hook up my GPS device, get a

Code:
    dmesg
    going... and see that my usb converter device is recognized
    next I give it a

Code:
    cat /dev/tts/USB0
    I see data being read so then I start gpsd with

Code:
    gpsd /dev/tts/USB0
    ,since my device has a USB converter. Then I give it another test with Telnet:

Code:
    telnet localhost 2947
    , then I type "r" and again, I see that the device sends information.

At this point I should be finished configuring/checking the GPS device so I fire up kismet with the autoconfig utility. And I have checked that autoconfig has configured the necessary parameters namely the gps=true and port 2947 on localhost correctly.

Code:
    start-kismet-ng
    I also made sure that my device has locked my position before starting kismet (the device was blinking), however the bar where the GPS coordinates are displayed in kismet is present, but it shows nothing. That means EVERY value (Lon,Lat..etc) is 000.0.
    I have tried GPSdrive and it worked.
    I have also tried Xgps and it kinda worked...By this I mean values were flickering between N/A and some wrong coordinates. Also I didn't see any map or visualization on the xgps program, the area just stayed blank.
    I have tested the device under windows (Autoroute and it has also worked perfectly).

As mentioned before I am through some extensive research and the closest someone got to my problem is described in this thread:
    Code:
    go to google and type in "kismet GPS issues" ... the first entry should be it
    however I don't know if our problems have the same origin, as said before thats the closest I got.

I would really appreciate any help you guys can give me. I have come a long way and cut through the thick lumbers of the "Linux-forest" of commands and errors and I do not want it to end here... I am way too close for that

Thank you
    Danno

What versions of gpsd have you tried using?
    Μολὼν λαβέ - Great spirits encounter heavy opposition from mediocre minds.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieFire View Post
    What versions of gpsd have you tried using?
    I am using version 2.33, the version that came with the march 6. 2007 release of BT2

I hate bringing up older posts, but at least it's from this year. gpsd version 2.33 has issues with kismet, or actually it's the other way around. You need version 2.10.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

I still use Dutch's gpsdold even on BT3b.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

2.37 works on the latest rc of BT3 with BU-353 & Delorme Earthmate LT-40
    Μολὼν λαβέ - Great spirits encounter heavy opposition from mediocre minds.

Just burned his ISO

I have been using gpsd 2.37dev in BT3 beta with out issues but in BT3 Final gpsd 2.37 does not seem to work. I do dmest, cat /dev/tts/USB0, lsusb ect all show the device is there and seems to be working. But when run gpsd with the same options as I did on my other system I get nothing. In kismet it show the UBS is active but with no signal. Any idea's?

I think theprez98 has the gpsdold files here on the board somewhere. I've never had issues with that version. From what I remember the newer versions do weird things to the output that kismet doesn't like.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

I picked up an earlier version of gspd but have not installed it yet. But I tried a few other things. I tried using a different computer with the same gps (pharos gps-500) with no luck. Then I also ran
    Code:
    stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 ispeed 4800 && cat </dev/ttyUSB
    per the gpsd install instructions. I did not get any out put. I know this gps is good as I have been using it with BT3 beta for ~7 months on a different computer. So on the new laptop I load up BT3 beta in Vmware and run the above command with sucess. So my issue is not with gpsd but some difference between BT3 beta and final. As I said BT3 final is seeing it, just when I go to pull data either via gpsd or stty I get nothing, its almost like the process hangs. To get gpsd to die I have to kill -kill it. Any ideas.