Thread: WinServer2008 Password Reset or Recover.

Just burned his ISO

Does anybody know how it is possible to reset or recover the administrator password of windows server 2008 ???

It seems cracking winServer2008 password is really hard !!!

Quote Originally Posted by ashkan3030
    Does anybody know how it is possible to reset or recover the administrator password of windows server 2008 ???
    phone microsoft. You have legally purchased their product, its for them to solve not us. We are not microsoft support people

Good friend of the forums williamc's Avatar

Hmm, I think it is our job to solve. I've noticed that Server 2008 does away with LM hashes and is only NTLM. Cracking these passwords takes significantly more time due to the fixes in the DES implementation. You can read more about it here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LM_hash

You can use PWdump to grab the NTLM hash and put it through rainbow tables, however this does take significantly more time. You can also try the winlockpwn method outlined here if the server has Firewire:
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=13922

Another method is to boot the server with Backtrack and use the utilman.pl utility to replace the utilman.exe file. Boot the server and use WindowsKey+U to launch a command shell.

Finally, if you have physical access, use the Server 2008 CD to perfrom a repair on the server. You can reset the administrator password.

William

Just burned his ISO

I had to do this to a VM I hadn't used in months, and subsequently forgot the password. ntpasswd worked perfectly.

Just burned his ISO

In hirens boot cd you have tools for resetting passwords... also, in bt you have tools for that, like samrdump i think...