Thread: Perfect Backtrack 4 USB Thumb Drive Problems

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Perfect Backtrack 4 USB Thumb Drive Problems

I'm a newibe with BT4 so I hope I can find enlightenment on a few things. My computer is a Toshiba Satellite, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, Windows 7 64bit. I do have BT3 installed on a vdware virtual machine and I have no problems. In the pursuit of a persistent usb thumb drive---Part 2 of the instructions " Persistent Changes"---I was not allowed to set the default of " 4 " after entering the first 2 commands of the section. I was also not allowed to add " vga=x317 " to the " Start Peersistent Live CD " section also within Part 2.
    Could not install Nessus, the next step, because it said it could not locate the file or program. Nessus was downloaded to my computer and the first usb thumb drive, but still could not see it. And lastly, very strange...BT4 did download semi-succesfully to the usb thumb drive....however...there are no konsole shells or mouse controlled pointer. I get as far as " airodump " and cannot go further because of no taskbar or konsole shells.

Default Re: Perfect Backtrack 4 USB Thumb Drive Problems

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSilk View Post
    Part 2.
    Could not install Nessus, the next step, because it said it could not locate the file or program.
    I would suggest using OpenVas which is already on installed on BackTrack, If you take a look at Archangel Amael's blog, he made a couple of videos on how to get OpenVas up and running, OpenVas for me have been working out great and a big thanks to Archangel Amael for making the demo videos on OpenVas.

Archangel Amael's Blog

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Hey thanks for noticing and the endorsement.

you said you downloaded nessus to the 1st partition of the usb thumb drive, did you properly umount that partition? if so, are you sure you are looking in the right place? when backtrack finishes loading and goes "live" it no longer runs of that partition, rather, it runs off of an imaginary area in your ram ( mount -l to see what i'm talking about) as such even an ls -a command will turn up no results for said file. try going to the actual device and checking that out, you can browse there via konqueor under media or mount and cd to it.
    open source = open minds, human knowledge belongs to the world

Perhaps Autonessus might be a better tool, or Seccubus as it's now called - less noisy than Openvas and Nessus apparently.

Seccubus - Easy automated vulnerabilty scanning with Nessus and OpenVAS

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by chap0 View Post
    I would suggest using OpenVas which is already on installed on BackTrack, If you take a look at Archangel Amael's blog, he made a couple of videos on how to get OpenVas up and running, OpenVas for me have been working out great an d a big thanks to Archangel Amael for making the demo videos on OpenVas.

Archangel Amael's Blog
    Thank you for your welcomed response!. Since I'm brand new, I have no idea what these 2 programs (OpenVas & Nessus) are about.
    I guess I just wanted to follow all of the directions and learn later. I became interested in BackTrack because of WEP &WAP concepts....had no idea it could do other things. I did, however, look a the video you suggested. Thanks. I have a little trouble with videos that aren't narrated on subjects I know very little about. But since I have no taskbar with options to choose from...I can't even try OpenVas yet.