Thread: Kernel UPDAte for BT3 Final ??? help

Just burned his ISO

Default Kernel UPDAte for BT3 Final ??? help

Kernel UPDAte for BT3 Final ??? help

i want to update my bt3 kernel with 2.6.26.5

i try all ways posted in this forum but no effect...

i have bt3 on my usb 4gb.... can you tell me step by step how to update kernel to 2.6.26.5

10x all

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by webmatrix View Post
    Kernel UPDAte for BT3 Final ??? help

i want to update my bt3 kernel with 2.6.26.5

i try all ways posted in this forum but no effect...

i have bt3 on my usb 4gb.... can you tell me step by step how to update kernel to 2.6.26.5

10x all
    Its not possible to update a usb install kernel with out decompressing all the .lzms and rebuilding the kernel and then re compressing all the .lzms. Not to mention some of the file patches you need for the live file system will be almost impossible to get. I have gone over this many times before in the forums so i find it hard to believe you have read and tried every thing that has to do with rebuilding kernels. You should probably stick with backtracks stock kernel because from your post I sort of get the idea that its over your head.

Good friend of the forums

Stick with the stock kernel.

I have been trying to make a 2.6.26.5 kernel with squashfs, lzma, aufs and all the other stuff in the stock kernel for the last 3 weeks (off and on only maybe 12 hours total so far). I can get aufs installed pretty easy. The lzma and squashfs parts are much more difficult. The problem seems to stem from that squashfs-lzma patches are for 2.6.24. I found a patch for 2.6.25, but nothing I have done or can find will get squashfs-lzma compiled on 2.6.26.5. The patches apply cleanly, I select the correct options and at the very end of compiling I get undefined symbols errors. I also can't get the squashfs tools to compile since I can't find some file named liblzma_r.a

I have come across others who are having these same or similar problems, but so far no solutions have been posted.

The only good news seems to be that lzma compression might be coming to the mainline kernel for 2.6.28. That is the first step needed to get squashfs in. Once lzma, squashfs, and aufs are all mainlined that will make the whole process of updating kernels MUCH easier.

The way I see it:
    There are minimal differences between the vanilla 2.6.21.5 and /usr/src/linux-2.6.21.5
    I use the alsa in the mainline kernel so I don't need /usr/src/alsa
    iwlwifi is in the mainline kernel
    ipwraw-ng will need some instructions
    fusefs looks like it is in the mainline kernel
    httpfs, ntfs-3g, and sshfs will need some instructions
    mac80211 is in the mainline
    ndiswrapper will need some instructions

So writing instructions on how to make a modern backtrack kernel will be shorter and easier once lzma, squashfs, and aufs are mainlined as several of the remaining differences are already in the mainline kernel.
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss

Just burned his ISO

so ... i cant updeate usb kenrnel ?

are there news aboult BT4 beta or somthing @

Good friend of the forums

Given that BT3 Final just came out don't look for a BT4 beta until at least next year. From previous postings asking about an ETA for a BT4 the answers are usually sometime between now and the end of the universe and/or Don't ask be happy with what you have. Of course I don't speak for the developers.
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss