Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any suggestions for a biquad antenna

Just burned his ISO

Default any suggestions for a biquad antenna

ok, so i want to make myself a biquad dish antenna following the guide from engadget (just google biquad dish, i can't post links yet). the problem is that my laptop doesn't have a pcmcia slot, it has an express slot. the cheapest pcmcia -> express card adapter i could find was about $50, i think, plus the senao card. i was just looking for other options, like if it was possible to use a wireless usb adapter with an external antenna connector. one that supports injection of course. let me know.

Could you try this? Perhaps adjust the instructions to this card?

There's a link to an RP-SMA(m) to N(male) at the bottom of that product page.

According the the wiki, the card works out of the box with BT3
    "Whatever happened to playing a hunch, Scully? The element of surprise, random acts of unpredictability? If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

Quote Originally Posted by ColForbin View Post
    Could you try this? Perhaps adjust the instructions to this card?

There's a link to an RP-SMA(m) to N(male) at the bottom of that product page.

According the the wiki, the card works out of the box with BT3
    Yea, that would work. I've hooked a biquad antenna to pcmcia cards, usb bluetooth adapters, even a first get wi-spy spectrum analyzer. As long as whatever you are using has an external antenna port, it won't care about the antenna as long as the antenna is for 2.4Ghz.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

ok thanks, but just to be clear. if you look at the guide i talked about on engadget, i take it that you connect the RP-TNC to N-Male pigtail to the N connector, then the coax cable to the opposite end of the pigtail. then same thing on the other side to the usb adapter antenna jack, one side of the RP-SMA(m) to N(male) pigtail to the jack, and the other to the coax.

Quote Originally Posted by N00d13s View Post
    ok thanks, but just to be clear. if you look at the guide i talked about on engadget, i take it that you connect the RP-TNC to N-Male pigtail to the N connector, then the coax cable to the opposite end of the pigtail. then same thing on the other side to the usb adapter antenna jack, one side of the RP-SMA(m) to N(male) pigtail to the jack, and the other to the coax.
    You can use whatever panel mount connector you want with the antenna. Then use whatever appropriate pigtail you need to attach your wifi card to the antenna.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

ok, so i decided i want to use the Hawking HWUG1 instead. i just want to make sure this will work, and also i can still use the RP-SMA(m) to N(male) connector.

so i figure it will go like this.

connect the RP-SMA(m) to N(male) pigtail to the hawking adapter.
    connect the WBC 400 coax cable to the "N" side of the pigtail

here's what i want to double check:
    do i connect a RP-TNC to N-Male pigtail, N side to coax, and RP-TNC to "N connector?"

or

do i just connect the WBC 400 coax cable directly to the "N connector?"

sorry, but i just want to make sure i have everything right before i start order parts.

ok, so i decided i want to use the Hawking HWUG1 instead. i just want to make sure this will work, and also i can still use the RP-SMA(m) to N(male) connector.

so i figure it will go like this.

connect the RP-SMA(m) to N(male) pigtail to the hawking adapter.
    connect the WBC 400 coax cable to the "N" side of the pigtail

here's what i want to double check:
    do i connect a RP-TNC to N-Male pigtail, N side to coax, and RP-TNC to "N connector?"

or

do i just connect the WBC 400 coax cable directly to the "N connector?"

sorry, but i just want to make sure i have everything right before i start order parts.
    Where are the rp-tnc connectors coming from?? If you're building the biquad with a panel mount N-male connector, you want a rp-sma male to n male pigtail.

Just burned his ISO

thats what they were using in the guide i found, but i just wanted to make sure i didn't need it.thanks.

thats what they were using in the guide i found, but i just wanted to make sure i didn't need it.thanks.
    I found the howto you are talking about now. I used a piece of aluminum for my reflector. I used the dimensions from here. I used a panel mount N connector instead of the coax. I've done one with the coax as well, but can't find a place locally I can get copper sheet cheap enough. Found out you really can't solder aluminum to copper, it warps too much.

Just burned his ISO

how well does it work with aluminum? it seems like it would be easier/cheaper, but how much would it effect performance?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast