Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting up problem.

Just burned his ISO

Default Starting up problem.

Hello and this si my very first post. The reason why i looked into backtrack was bcuz of muts the creator of Whoppix. I saw some neat videos and wanted to try them out. But I just wanted to know how I can play any such media files.
    I'm using bt4 final. i installed audacoius for playing mp3 after i installed ii it gives an error like this

Audacous has detected that u r using a broken GTK engine and some thing that mentions Qt is not compatible with it.

Can i install vlc too and give it a shot... should i do apt-get install vlc
    and do it.

pls help me out here.

I also wanted to know if it is OK to change the root password from toor to something else from the recovery mode by issuing the password command.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Default Re: Starting up problem.

Yes, you can install vlc media player by typing apt-get install vlc. As for changing the root password, issue passwd from a command line. It's encouraged to change it from the default root/toor combo for obvious reasons.
    I may have been born with a silver spoon in my mouth but it does not mean I like to be spoon fed.

Just burned his ISO

for the multimedia, I suggest you to install rhytmbox

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Why the OP would want this gnome package, that he would have to compile from source (assuming he knows how to do this in the first place) when he can simply install vlc from the repos, which plays virtually every media option available, is beyond me. Unless I completely missed something on that page I visited in your link, there were no binaries nor was it mentioned how your system will be toast after installing said gnome program and all of it's glorious dependencies.
    I may have been born with a silver spoon in my mouth but it does not mean I like to be spoon fed.

I personally don't like Rhythm box.

Quote Originally Posted by giansbu View Post
    for the multimedia, I suggest you to install rhytmbox
    as said by skinnypuppy, if you compile this, and install all it's dependencies, you will most certainly run into more problems than we want to deal with on these forums. vlc plays just about everything, comes with codecs to play nearly all video/audio. there is _no_ reason for you to use rhythmbox at all.

as for changing your password, just log in as root/toor and then on the commandline, (before starting the xserver) or in konsole (after starting the xserver) run passwd to change your password. there's no need to go into recovery mode to do this.
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Encrypted_Soldier View Post
    I personally don't like Rhythm box.
    Please do not make another post like this. If you are going to tell someone your personal preferences for an application at least have the decency to give the pro's and con's for it.
    I don't like cats.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks a lot... Has anyone got an idea of how i can change the GTK engine as that used by Auditor.

Post Re: Starting up problem.

You can opt for vlc or real player depends on your choice also use synaptic manager to find tons of multimedia tools which suits u best.after installing vlc avoid running it from root priv.as it may introduce priv. escalation. instead make one user & use vlc.its trongly encouraged to change default pwds

Quote Originally Posted by t1nm@n View Post
    Thanks a lot... Has anyone got an idea of how i can change the GTK engine as that used by Auditor.
    this, i have no idea about. by now though, it's very likely to be deprecated. sounds to me like you're trying to reverse-engineer a perfectly fine, healthy distro, and should maybe read this thread for some more information on customizing the backtrack dvd.

i like cookies.
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast