Thread: Super New Newb needs help <---

Just burned his ISO

Default Super New Newb needs help <---

OK guys just call me the super noob. I just heard about backtrack from messing around on youtube. I want to start learning how to use it and get familiar with it. The problem is, I cant get it to work....

I installed backtrack 3 usb....I formated my USB key which is a 1gb scandisk to FAT32.

I went through installing backtrack with steps I found on videos on youtube. I now have the root and BT3 files on my USB.
    I go to my command prompt type in cd boot then bootinst.bat
    then restart my computer and when it boots from my USB it says "Could not find kernal image: Linux"

I am running windows XP on my Alienware m5550.
    I do not have any sort of linux, fedora, or similair OS installed on my computer. Is that something I need? Remember I am SUPER new to this and everyone had to start somewhere so any help would be awesome!

(I did get it to boot through VMware using just the backtrack3.iso but i want it to be USB bootable and not have to download VMware on every computer I try and use this on.) Thanks!

You may like to start with reading the rules, they are the ones you obviously agreed to abide by without reading first.
    Then it would be a good idea to use the search function of the forum.
    Then read read read and read some more.

Here I'll even make BP's advice easier for you.
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8808
    * Use sensible descriptive titles in your posts - not titles such as "Please Help!!" or "Need Assistance" or "what Am I Doing Wrong?" etc
    * Search for related previous postings, before creating a new thread.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Good friend of the forums williamc's Avatar

This tutorial should get you going:
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=14930

William

Just burned his ISO

Default Newbie Forum?

Just to let you know there are other security forums that cover these topics and many there will gladly gladly help you without all of the grief. I think a few here forget this is a Newbie area ! You posted in the right place my friend. Good Luck... Peace...

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by crowheart View Post
    Just to let you know there are other security forums that cover these topics and many there will gladly gladly help you without all of the grief. I think a few here forget this is a Newbie area ! You posted in the right place my friend. Good Luck... Peace...
    How can you say that. The OP asked a simple question that has been covered in the forums a hundred times. If a person cant do enough research on these forums to A) Get back track installed and B) crack a few WEP keys than they should not even be attempting to use backtrack. A complete nub with a distro of "Hack tools" unleashed on the internet is like giving Machine guns to monkeys. Further more I didnt see the answer to the question in your post.

Good friend of the forums williamc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    A complete nub with a distro of "Hack tools" unleashed on the internet is like giving Machine guns to monkeys.

Who wouldn't like to see a monkey with a machine gun?