Thread: broadcom wireless and some other issue

Hybrid View

Smile broadcom wireless and some other issue

I have been searching on this forum and google searching for some time now.
    First I had troubles booting in and then solved it, everything works fine except I cant find my WIFI device wich has a visible SSID but with wpa-psk enabled.
    Using windows I have no problem connecting but it can get hard to search of any posibilities while BT3 is running without internet connection. So everytime I have to reboot to win xp search for a problem and then write it on a piece of paper or to put an .txt file.
    What I understand that there are eth0 and eth1 to witch my broadcom NIC is associated. I tried to run wireless configuration and still cant find any WiFI signal. I also tried in some program witch name I forgot put configuration files in but it then says that wpa_suplicant cant be started. As also read somewhere over the internet that new drivers are installed by kernel wich is here on BT3 a newer one has and that all devices are loaded into it.
    I use compaq 6720s.
    This all has led me to change a distro to ubuntu maybe but as alway like to work on a bit harder os. Im considering a new laptop and give this one to my mother for searching receipts over the internet. Thats all this laptop can do. Please convince me otherwise.
    Best regards Max Halz.

P.S. Even if I find the solution how can I boot again with new options from usb?

please post your wpa_suplicant file and the commands you are using to connect to your ap

ps please use code tags

Calypso

Quote Originally Posted by MaxHalz View Post
    I have been searching on this forum and google searching for some time now.
    First I had troubles booting in and then solved it, everything works fine except I cant find my WIFI device wich has a visible SSID but with wpa-psk enabled.
    Using windows I have no problem connecting but it can get hard to search of any posibilities while BT3 is running without internet connection. So everytime I have to reboot to win xp search for a problem and then write it on a piece of paper or to put an .txt file.
    What I understand that there are eth0 and eth1 to witch my broadcom NIC is associated. I tried to run wireless configuration and still cant find any WiFI signal. I also tried in some program witch name I forgot put configuration files in but it then says that wpa_suplicant cant be started. As also read somewhere over the internet that new drivers are installed by kernel wich is here on BT3 a newer one has and that all devices are loaded into it.
    I use compaq 6720s.
    This all has led me to change a distro to ubuntu maybe but as alway like to work on a bit harder os. Im considering a new laptop and give this one to my mother for searching receipts over the internet. Thats all this laptop can do. Please convince me otherwise.
    Best regards Max Halz.

P.S. Even if I find the solution how can I boot again with new options from usb?
    There should be menu items which perform load/unload funtions for both the illwifi (normal surfing etc) and ipwraw (injection) drivers. I'd try using those to see if that fixes it for you. I believe they are located in /usr/src/drivers but check the wiki to be certain.

What steps have you taken to try and bring your card up?

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

This is the info I got after running some of the commands:

eth1:

IEEE 802.11b/g ESSID"t" Nickname "Broadcom 4311"
    Mode:managed Frequency=2.457 GHz Access Point: Invalid
    RTS thrff Fragment thr: off
    Encryption keyff
    Link Quality=0/100 Signal level=256 dBm Noise Level=256 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
    What should be the next step to recognize WLAN?

Sorry for the inconvinience but its hard to learn when you are new to something.

Best regards MaxHalz.

.... .... .... ....

What should be the next step to recognize WLAN?....
    Well it looks to me like you've either configured the device improperly in regards to your AP, haven't configured the AP connection at all, or you don't have said AP. Manually set all applicable settings via console and try again.

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

eth1:

What should be the next step to recognize WLAN?

Sorry for the inconvinience but its hard to learn when you are new to something.

Best regards MaxHalz.
    Post the results of a 'dmesg | grep Broadcom' here.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Thank you both on you comments and suggestions.

To put a dmesg command lots of options are listed and not sure if it help as seen on the forum that most broadcom issues are hard to solve.
    So decided to get some cheap laptop, around 900 usd with linux installed on it.

My question is because laptop is based on linux then everything should be working fine with kernel drivers and so. Ive searched the wiki but cant find any new laptops that are being sold in this present time.

I am aiming on acer aspire 5520 with gigabit ethernet network card and a wifi based on atheros chipset.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

To put a dmesg command lots of options are listed and not sure if it help as seen on the forum that most broadcom issues are hard to solve.
    I wouldn't have asked you to post it, if I didn't think it wouldn't help. But hey, if you don't want help and would rather throw $900 away, by all means go ahead.

I got my Broadcom card working without any issues and not using NDIS, but you're right, posting that information probably didn't have anything useful in it.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Using the command dmesg |grep Broadcom will narrow down the result to only include information related to your wireless chipset, which your problem is related to. Also, getting a new laptop to solve the problems related to your wireless card seems rather daft, why not simply get a new card if you do not care to work out the problems with your current one?
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.