Thread: startx in users doesn't work

Just burned his ISO

Default startx in users doesn't work

Hi all!!!

I'm a Slack longtime user, but I'm new in BackTrack. Finally installed in the HD. Now as root I can use startx but if I want to use in other users, startx doesn't work.

Cannot move "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" to "/var/log/Xorg.0.log.old"

Anyone have/had the same problem? I really don't like use the OS in the root account.

Yes I have the same problem, its wierd, when I had backtrack 2 installed i could use startx in another user to see the gui.

With BT3 final and BT3 usb final I get the same error as you, i tried a few things like changing the permissions for that file but I never got it too work, Most of the programs i use on BT seem to need root provalages anyway, i know you can use suid and sudo though

Ps if you do find a soloution, please could you post it

Calypso

Just burned his ISO

well you need to edit the inittab level to 4, then as root edit the option, I dont remember where to remove the autologon.

But when you use another users your desktop will be the KDE default. So still using the root account. Just edit /etc/issue and remove the text where says the root passwd. Also change the root password.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTo_ View Post
    Hi all!!!

I'm a Slack longtime user, but I'm new in BackTrack. Finally installed in the HD. Now as root I can use startx but if I want to use in other users, startx doesn't work.

Cannot move "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" to "/var/log/Xorg.0.log.old"

Anyone have/had the same problem? I really don't like use the OS in the root account.
    Code:
    chmod +s /usr/bin/X11/Xorg
    Enjoy!