Thread: Viewing contents of wireless packets

Just burned his ISO

Default Viewing contents of wireless packets

Hello . How easily could someone "see" what's in an encrypted wireless (WPA-PSK) packet? Do they need to have cracked the key first?

Scenario:
    Client is connected to an AP using 1.WPA-PSK TKIP & 2.WPA2-PSK AES with a long, random PSK.
    Client is surfing the net and logs into an account on website X using unsecured http. Assuming the wifi packets were captured, would an attacker be able to look at the submitted info (passwords, usernames etc), url or anything else that was sent/received without knowing the PSK?
    If yes how easily could this be done and if no, could someone who had the PSK do this? Does the PSK even affect the encryption of packets?

What I'm basically asking is does WPA-PSK encrypt all of the data in the packet, and are there any exploits of this.

Quote Originally Posted by ngklu View Post
    Hello . How easily could someone "see" what's in an encrypted wireless (WPA-PSK) packet? Do they need to have cracked the key first?

Scenario:
    Client is connected to an AP using 1.WPA-PSK TKIP & 2.WPA2-PSK AES with a long, random PSK.
    Client is surfing the net and logs into an account on website X using unsecured http. Assuming the wifi packets were captured, would an attacker be able to look at the submitted info (passwords, usernames etc), url or anything else that was sent/received without knowing the PSK?
    If yes how easily could this be done and if no, could someone who had the PSK do this? Does the PSK even affect the encryption of packets?

What I'm basically asking is does WPA-PSK encrypt all of the data in the packet, and are there any exploits of this.
    You would need the passkey in order to be able to view the contents of the packet. Captured packets can be decrypted using for example airdecap-ng, which supports WEP/WPA/WPA2 encryption.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for clearing that up

Just burned his ISO

Default tools for analyzing packets that are not encrypted

what would be the best tool to utilize in this scenario. say that i was using airodump-ng to dumb all captured packets (unencrypted of course) to a file ram-02.cap. which tool in backtrack3 could i use to analyze the packets?
    any documentation of packet analyzing would be helpful as well.

thanks