Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dell Mini Inspiron 910???

Good friend of the forums

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I have personally seen several Inspirons self destruct due to overheating, but I have never seen a lattitude do the same thing.

Plus, while the motherboards may be the same, the rest of the machine is different. The Inspirons in my opinion, just feel as though they're made cheap. The hinges for the panel are cheap, the whole machine feels like it flexes if you pick it up by one corner. Whereas the Lattitudes feel like they're built better, a bit more robust. Of course, that could just be perception as well, but I've had better luck with Lattitude than with Inspirons.

Now, here's something really funny (peculiar, not haha): My sister wanted to buy a laptop for her daughter to take to college. She had previously purchased an Inspiron for her other daughter that died due to overheating, since it was out of warranty, Dell wanted to charge a good bit to fix it, so they left it sit. So my sister decided to try out the Lattitudes for her other daughter. It took her about 10 phone calls to Dell to purchase it because they didn't want to sell a Lattitude to an individual, they only want to sell them to businesses. IMO, why should they care? Someone wants to pay for a premium machine, they shouldn't be bitching where the money comes from, they should just be happy that someone is willing to still do business with them after the issues with the previous machine.
    I totally agree with you. I would never buy an Inspiron either. I only spec Latitiudes. I used to spec Thinkpads, but now that IBM sold off their PC and laptop division, I don't buy lenono. I had bad luck with Inspirons, Viaos, and HP laptops. My sister has an acer and it works great for her.

You get what you pay for. You buy cheap you get cheap.
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by bofh28 View Post
    I totally agree with you. I would never buy an Inspiron either. I only spec Latitiudes. I used to spec Thinkpads, but now that IBM sold off their PC and laptop division, I don't buy lenono. I had bad luck with Inspirons, Viaos, and HP laptops. My sister has an acer and it works great for her.

My 'administrative' laptop is a Gateway that was recovered from our Electrician. He had dropped it with a serial cable plugged in and it of course destroyed the backplane and the port. I ordered a new motherboard for it and replaced it all myself, I've been using it now for about 2 years. I've retro-fitted a pair of Wifi antennae from a Compaq Presario into the lid and installed a miniPCI wifi card. I just recently put in a 120G drive and now dual booting between CentOS and XP. I've had good luck with getting many of the tools in Backtrack up and running in CentOS. I'm fairly happy with this one, it's actually pretty rugged for being a Gateway.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by bofh28 View Post

Was that an attempt at French or did you mean Lenovo?

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowKill View Post
    Was that an attempt at French or did you mean Lenovo?
    I took it to mean it was a 'no no' to buy Lenovo.

or Jay Leno is now a member of Sha-na-na.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I took it to mean it was a 'no no' to buy Lenovo.

or Jay Leno is now a member of Sha-na-na.
    hahah I approve of the former enitrely too much....

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12