Thread: wireless question - not collection data to crack

Just burned his ISO

Default wireless question - not collection data to crack

Hi All, I can't post in the wireless section so I hope it's ok to ask here.

I've been following this guide:

hxxp://thew0rd.com/2008/08/19/tutorial-cracking-wep-using-backtrack-3/ <--- note the xx's

and I've run into a problem.

When trying to generate packets from the AP to crack I find that I'm not getting any. It's reading the packets just fine I've collected many of them, however I'm not getting any of the ARP packets and airodump is showing that I'm not getting any data.

I was able to get a couple of data packets ( 14 in total ) when trying against one AP but obviously that isn't enough. Is it the AP that's the problem (weak signal?) or is it something on my end? Is there any other techniques to generate packets for cracking purposes?

I'm using the intel 3945 chipset and backtrack 3.0 any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Whats the signal strength?

What make and model of AP is it ?

Just burned his ISO

The signals are very weak and very unreliable which after doing some more reading is likely my problem, which leads me to my next question;

Is it possible to turn my linksys wireless router into a repeater or some kind of signal booster?

Quote Originally Posted by SINZAR View Post
    The signals are very weak and very unreliable which after doing some more reading is likely my problem, which leads me to my next question;

Is it possible to turn my linksys wireless router into a repeater or some kind of signal booster?

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

You can but you'd need to order a Quasi-Darlington Transistor Pair rated for 2.4ghz @ 85W and -47dbi.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Just burned his ISO

google "wrt" for firmware for a linksys router.

you would need the log in to the router you are boosting though, i believe.