Thread: Can't set screen resolution

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Can't set screen resolution

First of all, I wanna say hi to all of this community's members, since this is my first post.
    I have installed Backtrack 4 recently and I can't set the resolution higher than 800x600. In resolution tray this is my highest one. If I tray to set any resolution bigger than 800x600 with xrandr it says "Size 1440x900 not found in avalable modes" and so on.
    I have a GeForce 8600 GT video board and I run Backtrack from VirtualBOX under Ubuntu 9.10.
    If you have a solution please let me know
    Thanks

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Can't set screen resolution

If you haven't done so already, install the guest drivers for Virtualbox.

Just burned his ISO

i dunno what to do under virtualbox, but i think you should install your graphic card's drivers to customize your video settings.try to google '' video drivers and virtualbox ''

Quote Originally Posted by giansbu View Post
    i dunno what to do under virtualbox, but i think you should install your graphic card's drivers to customize your video settings.try to google '' video drivers and virtualbox ''
    under virtualbox, you do _not_ install the host machine's graphics drivers. virtualbox creates a _virtual machine_ which has drivers all of its own.

@OP your best option in this case would be to try installing the virtualbox guest additions on your backtrack vbox. if you find that they don't work for screen resizing (I have this problem from time to time) try as Snayler said, and run fixvesa this may clear up your issue.

as i've said many times before, rtfm (can you tell that i'm a sysadmin?) before you install software. i know that the guest additions "cd" comes with a readme file that provides clean and clear instructions on how to install the drivers.

not that this is an ubuntu support forum, but as far as your 'buntu 9.10 puter's resolution: if you haven't already done so, i recommend installing the nvidia graphics drivers. nvidia is very nice to the open-source community and provides drivers for linux anyway, check out my tutorial for doing this here, and follow on from the lspci portion down.
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

I have had a similar problem on a different laptop with a GeForce card. try editing the X.org file.

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs up Re: Can't set screen resolution

Quote Originally Posted by xX_Spiidey_Xx View Post
    nvidia is very nice to the open-source community and provides drivers for linux anyway, check out my tutorial for doing this here, and follow on from the lspci portion down.
    Thanks a lot spidey I followed your tutorial and was able to get my screen resolution problem fixed in roughly 10 minutes. Very good and detailed info.

Quote Originally Posted by th1rte3n View Post
    Thanks a lot spidey I followed your tutorial and was able to get my screen resolution problem fixed in roughly 10 minutes. Very good and detailed info.
    wicked stuff d00d. glad i could help
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

What have you tried so far to fix the problem? have you tried "fixvesa"?