Thread: WiFi issue

Just burned his ISO

Default WiFi issue

I just bought my MacBook a week ago (as a replacement for my irrepairable pc desktop) and I have been booting BT3 final from cd to play around with it while my coffers replenish and I can buy a new desktop pc as well. The issue I am having with the MacBook running BT3 from cd is... actually there are two.

One, I was wondering, hoping really, if the programs and files I download from the interlink get saved on my Hard Drive somewhere. If it does then no problem, otherwise I will have to know if I need to get a flash drive to save all my stuff on.

Second, no matter what I try I can't get the wifi working while in BT3. I get it working fine with the Mac OS, but I can't seem to get it to work on BT3. I run a wireless network which is WEP protected (since my roommate's laptop doesn't support WPA)

Any advice you could off would be great.

Thanks,

//.cy

1) No, they aren't saved. Get a flashdrive. As an alternative, you could mount the HD, and write data there, but don't blame me if you write to the wrong place and wipe out something important. Considering that you're asking the question in the first place, indicates you're very much a newcomer to B|T and Linux, and you'd probably be better off using the flash drive to start. Of course you have to learn how to mount the flash drive...

2) Supply the type and chipset of the card, and you may be able to get some help.

And tell your roommate to spend the bucks and get a wireless card capable of runng WPA . Running under WEP is both stupid and dangerous. Haven't you guys heard of identity theft?
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

where I live there is about 40k people living in a small suburb to a bigger city. I recently bought a mobile phone with wifi enabled and started looking arround. I tested arround 40 wifi conections and about 70 percent where unprotected without any wep or wpa. Lots of people here use other people connections and if someones do something bad the state is comming for you and you are the one to get an explanation. Use WPA thats a good option and also try to hide your SSID. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxHalz View Post
    where I live there is about 40k people living in a small suburb to a bigger city. I recently bought a mobile phone with wifi enabled and started looking arround. I tested arround 40 wifi conections and about 70 percent where unprotected without any wep or wpa. Lots of people here use other people connections and if someones do something bad the state is comming for you and you are the one to get an explanation. Use WPA thats a good option and also try to hide your SSID. Hope this helps.
    Admitting to illegal use of networks on a public forum is not the brightest move.

"Hiding" the SSID is bad advice. What you are actually doing is telling the AP not to respond to probe requests. That only stops active 802.11 scanner programs and does nothing for passive scanners. It also disables roaming in multiple AP networks.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.