Thread: Is it really worth upgrading my WIFI card?

Default Is it really worth upgrading my WIFI card?

I currently have a Toshiba Equium laptop that has an internal wifi card (Intel Pro ABG) that I currently use with the ipwraw drivers. All this is great and works a treat but I am very keen to enhance what I already have and one thing that keep popping in my head is a new wifi card.

I recently bought the Proxim 8470-WD Gold only to find out that I won't fit in my laptop as my laptop only takes ExpressCards - my costly mistake! Still this hasn't deterred me and have come across the Ubiquiti SRX on Ebay. It has the Atheros 5006 Chipset. I like the idea of being able to add aerials to extend my working range but do you think it is worth it?

Personally I'd go for the Alfa AWUS036S, its USB which uses an external antenna and/or upgrade the internal card to an Atheros one for every day use without carying additional kit around.

To answer your question, yes it would be worth it.

YEs, I've had a look at the Alfa but I'm not keen on the size of it. My requirements are to be as compact as possible so an expansion card would be first choice. It's just deciding what one...

I just came across the Belkin F5D8071 which aireplay-ng confirm as having the Atheros chipset and linux compatible. This looks a good option but it doesn't seem as if additional aerials can be attached...